Low-income households are at risk of losing access to affordable telecommunications services in a rapidly changing and increasingly deregulated marketplace. NCLC advocates for continued strong consumer protections, low-income discount programs, and equal access to broadband and wireless services.
Telecommunications Policy Briefs, Reports & Press Releases
- Press statement re: rural rate floor, April 25, 2014
- Press Statement re: the Broadband Adoption Act of 2013, April 23, 2013
- Issue Brief on MA H.4216 Bill that Would Strip Existing Consumer Protections from Telephone Landline Customers and Prohibit State from Implementing Future Protections for Wireless Consumers, July 6, 2012
- Issue Brief on the New Hampshire SB 48 Bill that Would Strip Existing Consumer Protections from Telephone Landline Customers and Prohibit State from Implementing Future Protections for VoIP Consumers, May 11, 2012
- Statement re: FCC's Lifeline Reform: Must Ensure Access to Full Benefits for All Eligible Low-Income Consumers, January 9, 2012
Telecommunications Comments and Testimony
- Group comments to the FCC re: preserving the Telecommunications Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) protections for cell phones, Nov. 17, 2014.
- Comments to the Federal Communications Commission re: Rules and Regulations Implementing the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, Sept. 26, 2014
- Group petition to the FCC to deny Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger, Aug. 25, 2014
- Comments to the FCC opposing change to the Telephone Communications Protection Act to allow marketing robo-calls to cell phones, Aug. 8, 2014
- Group Comments to the Federal Communications Commission re: Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet Framework for Broadband Internet Service, July 18, 2014
- Group comments to the FCC opposing a 46% increase in the rural basic voice service rate, April 15, 2014
- Comments to the FCC re: AT&T Petition to Launch a Proceeding Concerning the TDM-to-IP Transition, Mar. 31, 2014
- Comments in response to the FCC's request for comments on the Petition for Expedited Declaratory Ruling and/or Expedited Rulemaking filed by the Professional Association for Customer Engagement (PACE), December 18, 2013
- Group comments to the FCC re: Lifeline and Link-Up Reform and Modernization in support to accommodate domestic violence survivors, Dec. 5, 2013
- Group comments to the FCC re: the proposed modernization of the E-rate for high-capacity broadband for underserved communities, Sept. 16, 2013
- Group comments to the FTC re: Mobile Cramming Charges, June 7, 2013
- Answer to the FCC in support to deny Nexus' Application for Review to treat Form 555 Reports as confidential, June 6, 2013
- Comments to the Massachusetts Dept.of Telecommunications and Cable re: D.T.C. 13-4 Lifeline Investigation (Lifeline Reform Order), April 29, 2013
- Group comments to the Federal Communications Commission re: issues related to the Lifeline program, April 2, 2012.
- NCLC and Group Comments and Reply Comments to the FCC Opposing Verizon/SpectrumCo/Cox Deal Petition to Consolidate. Feb. 21, 2012 (Comments) and Mar. 26, 2012 (Reply Comments).
- Testimony before the Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable opposing Verizon's request to be excused from providing subpar service to landline phone service customers. Mar. 2, 2012
- Comments and reply comments to the FCC re: cramming from Consumers Union, Consumer Federation of America, Center for Media Justice, National Consumer Law Center on behalf of its low-income clients, and Public Knowledge. Oct. 24, 2011 (Comments) and Dec. 5, 2011 (Reply Comments)
- Testimony Opposing HR 3035, the Mobile Informational Call Act of 2011 by the National Association of Consumer Advocates and National Consumer Law Center Nov. 4, 2011
- Comments and Reply Comments to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable on the Need to Expand Telecommunications Billing and Termination Protections to Wireless and Other Voice Service Customers. August 22, 2011 (Comments), September 16, 2011 (Reply Comments)
- Response to the FCC on further inquiry into four issues in universal service Lifeline reform and modernization Group CommentsLetter of Support to add WIC participants to Lifeline August 26, 2011
- NCLC and Consumer Groups' comments on the FCC's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on the Lifeline and Link Up Reform and Modernization, April 21, 2011, Reply Comments, May 10, 2011 and a second set of Reply Comments on May 25, 2011
- NCLC and Consumer Groups’ comments to the Federal-State Joint Board on Lifeline, July 15, 2010
- NCLC/GBLS comments to the FCC on Lifeline re TracFone’s request for clarification of the “one-per-household” rule as applied to group housing, November 20, 2009
- Initial Comments on the Federal-State Joint Board Recommended Decision (Comprehensive Reform Of The USF High Cost Program) by the National Consumer Law Center, on Behalf Of Texas Legal Services Center And Edgemont Neighborhood Coalition, Represented by Advocates For Basic Legal Equality, April 2008
- NCLC and TLSC Comments to the FCC on Lifeline to Refresh the Record, August 2007
- Reply Comments of the National Consumer Law Center regarding the billing and termination practices of telecommunications carriers, July 10, 2006
- Initial Comments of the National Consumer Law Center regarding the billing and termination practices of telecommunications carriers, June 8, 2006
- Comments of NCLC and AARP on the California Public Utility Commission Staff Report on Public Policy Programs, April, 2006
- Comments: of NCLC on Proposal of Verizon to Impose a Late Charge on Residential Customers, DTE 06-26, March 29, 2006
- Comments: regarding FCC Consumer Protections in the Broadband Era, January 17, 2006
- Leadership Council coalition letter to the FCC re: need for additional steps to ensure better media ownership diversity, Aug. 11, 2014
- Ex parte letter to the FCC summarizing a conversation with consumer and industry groups regarding the technology transition of the current phone system, May 15, 2014
- Group letter to FCC letter regarding notice of Ex Parte presentation, May 12, 2014
- Joint groups' FCC ex parte letter regarding carriers force-migrating residential phone customers off of regulated service and onto wireless and fiber service, May 12, 2014.
- Group letter to the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation in support of the Lifeline phone discount program, Sept. 12, 2013
- Group letter to the U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce in support of the Lifeline phone discount program, Sept. 12, 2013.
- Group letter to the FCC re: Critical Needs Studies for Diversification of Ownership in the Broadcasting Services, July 23, 2013
- Group letter to Sen. McCaskill in support of the Lifeline low-income discount phone program, June 27, 2013
- Letter to the U.S. House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology in support of the Lifeline low-income phone program, April 23, 2013. Related press release, April 25, 2013 and issue brief, April 25, 2013.
- Group letter to the FCC urging action to protect consumers from cramming charges, April 18, 2012
- Group letter to the FCC requesting clarification that Lifeline customers with duplicate enrollments remain eligible to maintain one Lifeline service, Mar. 9, 2012
- NCLC and Consumer Groups Letter to the FCC urging rejection of proposed changes to the Universal Service Fund in industry's ABC Plan, October 4, 2011
- NCLC/ABLE letter to the Chairman of the FCC on classification of broadband service as a telecommunications service under Title II, May 4, 2010
- Press Release and Advocates' Letter to the FCC in support of The National Association of State Utility Consumer Advocates' Recommendation for FCC to Reject Industry's ABC Plan, September 15, 2011
- PowerPoint: NLIEC 2004: A Lifeline for Telephone Customers
- NCLC's Energy and Utility Publications and Resources