Banking Policy Analysis
Banking Policy Briefs, Reports & Press Releases
- Department of Education Proposal Will Protect Students from High Fee Campus Prepaid and Debit Cards, May 15, 2015
- Policy Brief: Introduction to Account Screening Consumer Reporting Agencies, October 2014
- Banking Regulators: Banks should stop unauthorized debits from customer accounts, Sept. 29, 2014
- Debt Collection: Groups Applaud New Guidelines for Banks Selling Consumer Debt, Aug. 12, 2014
- Issue Brief: 300% Bank Payday Loans Spreading, August 2011 Group Comments to the Federal Banking Regulator (OCC) Opposing High Overdraft Fees and 300% Interest Bank Payday Loans, August 8, 2011
- Issue Brief: Features of a Safe Basic Banking or Prepaid Card Account, December 2010
- EGRPRA comments on Check Hold Times (Reg CC) and CRA, May 14, 2015.
- Consumer comments to CFPB on safe student accounts, Mar. 30, 2015
- Testimony of Lauren Saunders before the Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee of the House Financial Services Committee on Examining Regulatory Relief Proposals for Community Financial Institutions, Part II (July 15, 2014), discussing support for Operation Choke Point and opposition to H.R. 4986 (Luetkemeyer), July 15, 2014
- Comments to HHS on restrictions on direct deposit of TANF, May 7, 2014
- Comments urging Fed to ban remotely created checks, Dec. 13, 2013
- Comments to FTC on proposed amendments to Telemarketing Sales Rule banning use of remotely created checks and other payment instruments, Aug. 2, 2013.
- Comments supporting collection of data on overdraft, monthly and ATM fees, May 6, 2013
- Comments on the Treasury Department’s proposal to mandate all electronic deposits by 2013, August 16, 2010
- Comments to Treasury Proposed Rule on Garnishment of Federal Benefit Payments, June 18, 2010
- Comments to the FDIC re: Basic Checking and Savings Accounts, June 7, 2010
- Comments to the Social Security Administration Regarding the Use of Master and Sub Accounts and Other Account Arrangements for the Payment of Benefits Docket No. SSA 2008-0023, June 20, 2008
- Comments to the Federal Regulators on the InterAgency Guidance on Exempt Benefits, November 27, 2007
- Comments of the NCLC and NACA Regarding Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Relating to Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices, November 6, 2007
Banking Letters & Testimony
- Coalition letter to regulators on responsibilities of consumers' banks (RDFIs) re stopping unauthorized charges and closing accounts, Sept. 29, 2014.
- Letter to House of Representatives supporting Operation Choke Point and other work against payment fraud, July 15, 2014
- Letter to DOJ applauding work against payment fraud (including illegal payday payments), Jan. 14, 2014
- Letter in Support of Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Miller), July 27, 2010
- Testimony re Protecting Social Security Benefits from Predatory Lending and Other Harmful Financial Institution Practices, June 24, 2008
- Frozen Out: A Review of Bank Treatment of Social Security Benefits, Testimony before the Committee on Finance and Appendices to Testimony, September 20, 2007
Banking Additional Resources
NCLC attorney Lauren Saunders discusses financial products marketed to college students (see 1:51) at a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau hearing, October 2013.
- CFPB Consumer Banking Complaints
- Consumer Facts: Your Right to Know - DIRECT EXPRESS® PREPAID DEBIT CARD FOR SOCIAL SECURITY, SSI AND OTHER FEDERAL PAYMENTS, April 27, 2011
- Webinar: New Rules on Protection and Electronic Payment of Social Security, May 11, 2011 (Margot Saunders, Lauren Saunders) PresentationRecording