In most states, a manufactured housing community can be sold out from under the residents without giving the residents any advance notice or any opportunity to purchase the community themselves. A few states require the residents to be given advance notice and an opportunity to purchase the community, but in most of these states there are significant gaps in the law.
|This state has no laws giving manufactured home community residents the opportunity to purchase their communities||Some protection when community is sold, but significant gaps||Strong protection when community is sold|
Local Policy Advocacy (Policy Guide), Nov. 2015
Resident Ownership of Manufactured Home Communities
First Steps Toward a Resident Purchase Opportunity (Policy Guide), August 2011
Promoting Resident Ownership of Communities (Policy Brief)
Compendum of Existing Manufactured Housing Park Laws That Foster Resident Ownership of Manufactured Home Communities, Feb. 2015
Fundamental Freedoms in Manufactured Home Communities
Protecting Fundamental Freedoms in Communities (2-page Policy Brief)
Titling and Financing of Manufactured Homes
Summary of Model State Law (2012)
Accessing Public Resources for Homes and Communities (Sept. 2010)
Financing Homes in Communities (Policy Guide) (Sept. 2008)
Titling Homes as Real Property (Policy Analysis)
Titling Homes as Real Property (Policy Brief)
Comprehensive Model Law
AARP: Manufactured Housing Tenants: Shifting the Balance of Power, June 2004
Testimony and Letters
- Coalition letter opposing H.R. 1699, the so-called Preserving Access to Manufactured Housing Act of 2017, Nov. 30, 2017
- H.R. 650: Coalition Opposition Letter, Feb. 26, 2015
- Letter Opposing H.R. 1779, which would weaken protections for manufactured home loans, Sept. 4, 2014
- Letter to FHFA regarding issues regarding special mortgage markets including manufactured housing, May 15, 2014
- Comments to the FHFA Regarding Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Enterprise Duty to Serve Underserved Markets, July 22, 2010
- Comments to the FHFA on the Duty to Serve, September 18, 2009
- Testimony before the Urban Affairs Committee of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives regarding H.B. 1673, September 3, 2008
- Letter to Environmental Matters Committee regarding H.B. 1382, March 13, 2008
- Testimony before the Environmental Matters Committee of the Maryland General Assembly regarding H.B. 1382, March 12, 2008
Administrative Agency Comments
- Group Comments on implementation of Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's duty to serve the manufactured housing market, July 10, 2017
- CFED and NCLC Comments regarding Request for Public Input on Potential Manufactured Home Chattel Loans Pilots, March 21, 2017
- Group Comments to the Federal Reserve Board, the CFPB, FDIC, FHA, NCUA, and OCC re: Appraisals for Higher-Priced Mortgage Loans, Sept. 9, 2013
- Additional Comment of the National Consumer Law Center on behalf of its low-income clients Regarding Manufactured Housing, July 22, 2011
Resources for Attorneys
Consumer Warranty Law
A comprehensive guide to consumer warranty claims, including a chapter on manufactured homes.
A detailed analysis of consumer protections against repossession, including lengthy subsections on manufactured home repossessions.
Foreclosures and Mortgage Servicing
A guide to defending consumers from foreclosure, including a chapter on manufactured homes.
Background Information and Resources
Materials from Homes on Land of Another Symposium, November 8, 2007, Washington, D.C.