Consumer Class Actions
The definitive consumer bankruptcy treatise by Henry Sommer, the nation’s leading consumer bankruptcy author.
NCLC represents consumers in cutting-edge litigation that seeks to reform the rules of the marketplace. We are interested in cases that will have a far-reaching impact and can benefit from our unique legal and policy expertise. To maximize our limited resources we help bring together strong litigation teams made up of private lawyers, legal aid, and nonprofit groups.
Amicus Brief of National Consumer Law Center, Center for Responsible Lending and Colorado Public Interest Research in support of plaintiff in Martha Fulford v Avant of Colorado LLC et al and Web Bank, January 14, 2019
Amicus Brief of National Consumer Law Center, Center for Responsible Lending and Colorado Public Interest Research in support of plaintiff in Martha Fulford v Marlette Funding, January 14, 2019
- NCLC and the National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) submitted a Supplemental Comment to the Judicial Conference Advisory Committee on Civil Rules and its Rule 30(b)(6) Subcommittee regarding the alternative proposed amendments to federal Rule of Civil Procedure 30(b)(6), March 29, 2019
- NCLC, in conjunction with the National Veterans Legal Services Program and Alliance for Justice, represented by Gupta Wessler LLC (Complaint), filed a Federal Circuit brief (Brief) defending their partial victory (Summary Judgment) in a class action challenging the federal judiciary’s collection of millions of dollars in excess fees for access to online court records (PACER). NCLC and the other plaintiffs allege the excessive PACER fees inhibit public understanding of the courts and thwart equal access to justice, erecting a financial barrier that many citizens are unable to clear. The case, now on appeal at the United States Court of Appeal has attracted an array of supporting briefs from former judges, news organizations, and civil rights groups. Report in the New York Times.
- Amicus brief filed with the Unites States Supreme Court in support of the petitioner in Obduskey v McCarthy & Holthus LLP by the National Consumer Law Center, September 17, 2018
- Amicus brief filed with the Unites States Supreme Court in support of the respondents in Frank v. Gaos (cy pres) by the National Consumer Law Center and U.S. PIRG Education Fund, Inc., September 5, 2018
- Amicus brief and related materials of 10 consumer groups over Acting Director of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Leandra English vs. Donald J. Trump and John M. Mulvaney), Dec. 8, 2017
- NCLC and NACA comments to the Civil Rules Advisory Committee re: Rule 30(b)(6), August 9, 2017
- Supplementary comments on behalf of NCLC and NACA, January 3, 2019
- Confronting Criminal Justice Debt: A Guide for Litigation, Sept. 2016
- Testimony of NCLC Director of Litigation Stuart Rossman before the U.S. Senate Committee on Aging re: pension advance schemes, Sept. 30, 2015
- NCLC and NACA comments to the Civil Rules Advisory Committee re: Rule 23, September 4, 2015
- NCLC and NACA comments to the Civil Rules Advisory Committee re: Rule 23, April 1, 2015
- United States Consumer Law Attorney Fee Survey 2015-2016 (Conducted By Ronald L. Burdge)