Find an Attorney

You may want to contact a lawyer. Your legal claim will be lost if you wait too long to seek legal help. If you are sued, almost always you must quickly file a written answer explaining why you dispute the claim or you will automatically lose the case.

File a Complaint

We recommend that you file a complaint with the appropriate state and federal agencies, as they may be able to assist you and will want to learn about problems that that lawmakers and regulators should address.

Reporters from newspaper, television or internet sites can also bring attention to a problem and often prompt a response from a company.

If your problem involves a scam or fraud, you should visit, where you can find information about next steps.

You may also be able to obtain help and bring the problem to the attention of lawmakers by contacting your senators at or your representative at or by calling the Capitol switchboard (202) 224-3121 and asking for your senator or representative.

Additional Resources

You can find a variety of educational materials, free resources, counseling, and advice to help consumers below:

Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project

National Consumer Law Center’s Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project is a related website for borrowers, their families, and advocates representing student loan borrowers.

Learn More

Disclaimer: None of the information provided in this web site should be regarded as legal advice. If you need legal advice, you should consult an attorney. Persons who need a lawyer or legal advice should contact their local bar association, legal services program, or legal aid society.