March 30, 2020 – March 31, 2020, Portland, OR
Agenda (subject to change)
Eligibility || Attendance Fees || Hotel || Scholarships || Sponsorship
Introductory FDCPA Track
This introductory track is designed for attorneys with little or no prior experience with FDCPA litigation. Learn about the laws protecting consumers from abusive debt collection practices and proceed to more in-depth sessions on developing these cases and a fair debt collection law practice.
Advanced FDCPA Track
The advanced track is for intermediate to experienced FDCPA practitioners who want to delve more deeply into developments in FDCPA law and discuss issues related to a busy FDCPA practice.
The TCPA continues to be a dynamic and powerful statute that provides meaningful redress to consumers who have been plagued with unwanted automated calls, including automated calls from debt collectors. Damages for violating the TCPA are between $500 and $1,500 for every automated call made without consent. Automated calls that are covered by the statute included live calls from debt collectors which are dialed with an automated dialer. This year, as in the past, we are offering four courses targeted to improving advocates knowledge and understanding about using the TCPA as a tool for debt collection clients.
Student Loan Track
With $1.6 trillion dollars in outstanding student loan debt, student loan borrowers are struggling and companies are making big money off of their suffering. With new state laws in effect and data exposing bad practices, there are now new opportunities for litigation, but also major pitfalls to avoid. Learn from some of the nation’s foremost experts in student loans on how to develop cases, avoid preemption issues, and put money back in the pockets of student loan borrowers.
- Conference attendance is open to attorneys who can certify all of the following:Neither I, nor anyone in my firm: (1) sue consumers on consumer debt; (2) advise businesses regarding debt collection or evictions involving consumers, or (3) represent landlords in evictions.
- Neither I, nor anyone in my firm, defend any clients against FDCPA, TCPA, FCRA, or other consumer claims.
- In the previous 5 years, I have not engaged in any of the activities described in the two preceding certifications, or I have sent a written explanation to Anna Kowanko at firstname.lastname@example.org of any such work in the past 5 years.
- I do not handle debt settlement matters, or if I do represent clients in debt settlement affairs, I do not engage in any disqualifying conduct.
- Non-attorneys who wish to attend should email Anna as well (email@example.com) with information about your occupation and interest in attending the conference.
- If you are a private practice attorney and attending the conference for the first time, please refrain from making nonrefundable travel reservations for fifteen business days after you submit your registration to allow for verification of your certification. If you have questions about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Anna at 617-542-8010 Extension 305.
* Non-attorneys who wish to attend should email email@example.com with information about your occupation and interest in attending the conference.
**If you are attending the conference for the first time, please refrain from making nonrefundable travel reservations for fifteen business days after you submit your registration to allow for verification of your certification. If you have questions about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Standard Private Attorney (by 2/19/20) $540 (after $635)
- NACA member or NACBA member (by 2/19/20) $475 (after $570)
- Nonprofit/ Legal Aid/ Government Attorney (by 2/19/20) $415 (after $505)
The special conference rate for attendees at the Hilton Portland Downtown is $199/night. Book your room or call 1 800 HILTONS, and reference the group code: NCL to receive the group rate. Having trouble booking? Contact email@example.com for assistance.
Dates to Remember
January 31, 2020 – Deadline for scholarship application
February 3, 2020 – Deadline to APPLY to become a NACA member
February 19, 2020 – Deadline for reduced conference registration rate (early bird deadline)
February 25th, 2020 – Deadline to book hotel rooms at the conference hotel
February 28th, 2020 – Registration cancellation fee increases from $75 to $150
March 18, 2020 – Last day to register online
March 19, 2020 – Conference Web App Launch