Urge your U.S. Senators to help families and the economy recover from COVID-19 by passing the HEROES Act
The coronavirus crisis is continuing, and the economic crisis is devastating families. With close to 50 million people unemployed, many more with reduced hours, and full economic recovery nowhere in sight, we need another stimulus package to help the economy recover and to prevent debt loads from destroying families for years to come.
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed the HEROES Act and now the Senate must do the same!
The HEROES Act is a $3 trillion dollar package in response to the COVID-19 crisis. In the consumer area, the bill provides desperately needed help for families dealing with the economic crisis, beyond the modest start in the previous CARES Act. The HEROES Act:
- Provides immensely needed funds to help families cover necessities through increased stimulus payments, extended unemployment benefits, and, for the poorest families, increased support for food, rent, home energy, water, and basic broadband service.
- Expands recently passed debt forbearance relief to most mortgages, federal and private student loans, and rent.
- Stops debt collection activities that endanger stimulus payments, wages, bank accounts, homes, utilities, and cars.
- Creates a path to recovery by halting negative credit reporting and by requiring creditors to offer affordable repayment options.
Please email or call your U.S. Senators and tell them we need another stimulus package to help the economy and families to recover, and ask them to support the HEROES Act. Find contact information here.
Other Actions You Can Take
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. Here’s how.
- Tweet to your senators to pass the HEROES Act using #HEROESAct and #COVID19.
LEARN MORE about NCLC’s work on COVID-19 & Consumer Protections.
- COVID-19 & Consumer Protections
- Major Consumer Protections Announced in Response to COVID-19
- Protecting Against Creditor Seizure of Stimulus Checks
- Mortgage Relief for Homeowners Affected by COVID-19
- Surviving Debt: Expert Advice For Getting Out of Financial Trouble (free access to the digital edition during the COVID-19 crisis via this link). Print books may be ordered at NCLC’s Digital Library bookstore.