The Supreme Court on June 12 in Henson v. Santander Consumer USA Inc., __ U.S. __, 2017 WL 2507342 (June 12, 2017)held that debt buyers are not covered under the FDCPA’s second definition of debt collector because they do not collect debts owed to another. This webpage provides resources to consumer attorneys litigating cases against debt buyers whose principal business is buying defaulted debt.
General Henson Analysis
- FDCPA Coverage of Debt Buyers: Implications of Supreme Court's June 12 Ruling in Henson by NCLC attorney April Kuehnhoff, June 15, 2017.
Model Language for Henson Briefs
- Model brief by Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC attorney Daniel Edelman (doc) (pdf), June 21, 2017
Sample Henson Briefing
- Bueno v. Mel S. Harris and Associates, LLC, et al., Case No. 1:16-cv-04737-WFK-VMS (E.D.N.Y.)
Sample Complaints Against Debt Buyers
- LVNV Funding, LLC (N.D. Ill. June 15, 2017)
- Henson v. Santander Consumer USA Inc. Supreme Court Decision, June 12, 2017.
|NCLC depends on the support of attorneys, advocates and allies fighting for consumer rights and economic justice. In today's political environment, we need your help now more than ever!
To strengthen our work on issues like this and many more, please donate to NCLC's 2017 Consumer Rights Defense Fund today!