Deepak Gupta, founding principal of Gupta Wessler PLLC, a national appellate, constitutional and complex litigation firm, has joined the board of the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC), with locations in Boston and Washington, D.C.
“Deepak’s deep understanding of consumer and constitutional law will provide fresh insight to help advance the National Consumer Law Center’s mission to protect low-income people from abuses in the financial marketplace, said National Consumer Law Center Executive Director Rich Dubois. “After many years of working with Deepak, we are very pleased that he has joined NCLC’s board.”
“National Consumer Law Center has been an indispensable partner to the public-interest legal community for nearly 50 years and I’m delighted to have the opportunity to support NCLC’s high-impact litigation and commitment to access to justice for all,” said Deepak Gupta.
Some of Mr. Gupta’s career highlights, as detailed in his full biography, include:
- Launching the amicus program at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, defending its first set of regulations in court, and helping to set the agency’s enforcement priorities;
- Winning numerous appellate victories for consumers under statutes including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act;
- Fighting the spread of forced arbitration in the U.S. Supreme Court and before Congress and regulatory agencies, including a recent victory in the Ninth Circuit over the use of forced arbitration in the context of privatized criminal justice;
- In litigation over President Trump’s violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clauses, currently representing hotel and restaurant competitors of Trump’s businesses and the attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia; and
- Successfully defending of firearms restrictions against Second Amendment challenges.
In addition to his litigation work, Mr. Gupta has testified before the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives, taught as an adjunct professor of law, appeared on national television and radio, and has been featured in many major print and digital media stories.Mr. Gupta joins ten other private bar and civil legal-aid attorneys who serve on the NCLC board. For a full listing of the board and their affiliations, please visit: https://www.nclc.org/about-us/leadership.html