114th Congress (2015-16)
- H.R. 185 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act (RAA). Consumer opposition letter.
- H.R. 427 (Young), Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act of 2015 (REINS Act) (H.R. 427).
- Letter opposing Appropriation riders that limit CFPB's arbitration authority, May 10, 2016
- Letter supporting Blumenthal-Franken Telecom-Arb Bill, Apr. 28, 2016
- S. 2506 (Leahy), Restoring Statutory Rights Act of 2016. Consumer support letter, Feb. 4th, 2016
- Letter opposing proposals to weaken or remove CFPB arbitration authority.
- H.R. 1737 (Guinta), Reforming CFPB Indirect Auto Financing Guidance Act. Opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing misuse of the appropriations process for ideological policy riders.
- Group letter urging U.S. House of Representatives to support HR 4682 Help Americans Never Get Unwanted Phone call (HANGUP Act), March 11, 2016
- Group letter urging U.S. Senators to support the Help Americans Never Get Unwanted Phone calls (HANGUP) bill, Nov. 2, 2015
- Opposition letter to H.R. 1927, a bill to destroy class actions, Jan. 6, 2016
- H.R. 1927 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2015. Opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Consumer Protection Rules
- 300 Organizations Oppose Financial Policy Riders, Nov. 15, 2016
- H.R. 5982, the Midnight Rules Relief Act of 2016 (oppose)
- Coalition letter to members of Congress urging them to reject HR 5893, the "Financial CHOICE Act", Sept. 12, 2016
- H.R. 4678 (Ratcliffe), Separation of Powers Restoration Act of 2016 (oppose)
- Opposition to Hensarling anti-consumer amendments to Highway funding bill, Nov. 4, 2015
- HR 957 (Stivers), Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection-Inspector General Reform Act of 2015. AFR Opposition Letter, Sept. 29, 2015
- Opposition Letter to H.R. 166/CFPB Commission Bill, Sept. 29, 2015
- Letter to House supporting constitutionality of the CFPB, Sept. 16, 2015
- Group letter opposing S. 1607, the Independent Agency Regulatory Analysis Act of 2015., June 27, 2015
- H.R. 1266 (Neugebauer), Financial Product Safety Commission Act of 2015 (oppose)
- H.R. 1195 (Pittenger), the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Advisory Boards Act, which could cut CFPB funding. Coalition opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing efforts to weaken the CFPB, Jan. 21, 2015
- HR 5282 (Waters) Comprehensive Consumer Credit Reporting Act, coalition letter of support, May 19, 2016
- H.R. 4172 and S. 2355, Credit Access and Inclusion Act (oppose), May 18, 2016
- Letter opposing H.R. 3035, Credit Access and Inclusion Act, Sept. 8, 2015
- HR 2091 (Poliquin), Child Support Assistance Act of 2015 (concern)
- H.R.1514 (Sanchez), Credit Reporting for Military Families Act (support)
- H.R.347 (Royce) Facilitating Access to Credit Act of 2015 (oppose) Letter and Q&A Fact Sheet
- H.R. 1703 (Langevin), Protect Children from Theft Act of 2015(support)
Federal Trade Commission
- FTC Process and Transparency Reform Act of 2016 (discussion draft). Consumer opposition letter.
- Letter in Support Budget Amendment Limiting Use of Guarantee Fees for Unrelated Initiatives, March 18, 2015
Homebuyers Assistance Act
- H.R. 3624 (Buck), Fraudulent Joinder Prevention Act. Consumer opposition letter, Feb. 23, 2016.
- H.R. 1927 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation and Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency Act of 2016. Consumer opposition letter, Feb. 2, 2016
- H.R. 758 (Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act. Consumer opposition letter (to the Committee on the Judiciary), April 13, 2015 and opposition letter (to the House Speaker and Minority Leader) Sept. 15, 2015.
- H.R. 650: Coalition Opposition Letter, Feb. 26, 2015
- S.2592 Medical Debt Relief Act (Group letter of support, Feb. 24, 2016)
- H.R. 2362 Medical Debt Relief Act (Group letter of support, May 8, 2015)
Military Lending Act
- Consumer letter to House Committee on Armed Services opposing weakening of Military Lending Act, April 19, 2016
- Amendment #268 (Stivers) to FY 2016 National Defense Authorization Act to require certification database used for military lending. Consumer letter in opposition.
- Rep. Duckworth amendment to H.R. 1735, National Defense Authorization Act, to eliminate provision delaying regulations to close loopholes in 36% interest rate cap. Consumer letter in support.
- Coalition letter to Congress opposing oppose HR 1210, the Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act, Nov. 16, 2015
- H.R. 3192, Homeowners Assistance Act (opposition letter), July 27, 2015
- H.R. 1210 (Barr), Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act (Coalition opposition letter)
- H.R. 2213 (Pearce), safe harbor from enforcement for TILA/RESPA integrated disclosures. Coalition opposition letter, June 9, 2015
- H.R. 685 Mortgage Choice Act (coalition letter opposing)
Operation Choke Point and Payment Fraud
- H.R. 766 (Luetkemeyer) the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter, Feb. 2, 2016
- H.R. 1413 (Luetkemeyer) & S. 477 (Rubio), the Firearms Manufacturers and Dealers Protection Act 2015
Private Debt Collection of Federal Debt
- Group letter supporting S. 2255 amending the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to include third-party private debt collectors, Nov. 10, 2015
- Group letter opposing Section 52106 in Senate Highway Trust Fund bill mandating IRS to use private debt collectors, July 24, 2015
- H.R. 2896 (Tipton), Taking Account of Institutions with Low Operation Risk Act (TAILOR). Consumer opposition letter.
- HR 185 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter.
- H.R. 3634 (Wilson), Student Loan Debt Protection Act of 2015 (support)
- Coalition letter opposing HR 970/S 559 (Foxx-Kline) which would repeal federal regulations enacted to protect students from for-profit college fraud, including gainful employment regulations, April 2015
- S 3026 ROBOCOP Act (Schumer) Group letter of support, Nov. 15, 2016
- S 2644 FCC Reauthorization Act (Daines) Group letter opposing weakening of the TCPA, Nov. 15, 2016
- HR 4932 ROBOCOP Act (Speier) Group letter of support, Sept. 22, 2016
- H.R. 2666, No Rate Regulation of Broadband Internet Access Act (Kinzinger) Advocates opposition letter, April 12, 2016
- H.R. 4884 (Scott) Civil rights, union, and consumer groups' letter opposing this bill that would cap the federal low-income Lifeline program, April 12, 2016
- Consumer letter to Uniform Law Commission opposing revisions to Uniform Unclaimed Property Act, Oct. 7, 2015
- Calif. AB 1326 (Dababneh). Consumer opposition letter.
Wall Street Reform
- H.R. 6392 (Luetkemeyer), Systemic Risk Designation Improvement Act of 2016. Consumer opposition letter.
113th Congress (2013-2014)
- H.R.3137 (Schakowsky) & S. 1534 (Harkin), Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Support)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- S. 2732 (Toomey),Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Examination and Reporting Threshold Act of 2014. Consumer coalition letter in opposition.
- H.R. 3193 (Duffy), Consumer Financial Protection and Soundness Improvement Act of 2013, a package of bills designed to gut the CFPB. Consumer opposition letter. Feb. 11, 2014
Consumer Freedom of Speech
- H.R.5499 (Swalwell), Consumer Review Freedom Act of 2014 (support)
Fair Debt Collection
- S. 2328 (Toomey), exempting attorneys from the FDCPA (Opposition Letter), May 12, 2014
Housing Finance Reform
- NCLC Statement on Passage of Housing Finance Bill (S.1217) in Senate Banking Committee, May 15, 2014
- Analysis of Servicing Provisions in Johnson-Crapo Discussion Draft, April 2014
- Letter Opposing H.R. 3211, the "Mortgage Choice Act of 2014.", Sept. 15, 2014
- Letter Opposing H.R. 1779, which would weaken protections for manufactured home loans, Sept. 4, 2014
- H.R. 5148 (Luetkemeyer), Access to Affordable Mortgages Act of 2014, which exempts certain mortgages from appraisal requirements. AFR letter in opposition.
- H.R. 4963, National Homeowners Bill of Rights Act of 2014 (Support).
- H.R. 5553, Preventing Improper Foreclosures Act of 2014 (Support)
Operation Choke Point
- H.R. 4986 (Luetkemeyer), End Operation Choke Point Act of 2014. Testimony and Letter in opposition.
- Letters to House and Senate against bills to weaken and in support of Operation Choke Point.
Prepaid and Payroll Cards
- Press release supporting CA AB 2252 which protects child support deposited on prepaid cards, July 23, 2014.
- H.R. 2804 (Holding), Achieving Less Excess in Regulation and Requiring Transparency (ALERRT) Act (H.R. 2804) (oppose)
- H.R. 2122 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act (RAA)
- H.R. 2542 (Bachus), Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act (RFIA)
- H.R. 2804 (Holding), All Economic Regulations are Transparent (ALERT) Act
- H.R. 1493 (Collins), Sunshine for Regulatory Decrees and Settlements Act
- H.R. 367 (Young), Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act
- H.R. 899 (Foxx), Unfunded Mandates Information and Transparency Act
- Group letter to members of Congress urging them to oppose HR 4 the "Jobs for America Act", Sept. 18,2014
- Letters supporting the Private Student Loan Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2013 (Cohen) and the Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2013 (Durbin) permitting dischargeability of private student loans, Feb 6, 2013
Housing Finance Reform
- Testimony Before the United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairson Housing Finance Reform: Essentials of a Functioning Housing Finance System for Consumers, October 29, 2013
- Coalition Letter to Senator Corker and Senator Warner in response to the S. 1217 Housing Finance Reform and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2013, June 2013
- Letter opposing H.R. 2655, the Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act, July 22, 2013
- H.R. 5446 (Royce), The Facilitating Access to Credit Act: Letter of opposition
- H.R. 2538 (Fitzpatrick)/S. 1613 (Kirk), The Credit Access and Inclusion Act: Letter expressing concerns.
- H.R. 1767 (Waters), S. 160 (Merkley), Medical Debt Responsibility Act. Support letter.
- H.R. 1002 (Cohen)/S. 471 (Sanders), Fair Access to Credit Scores Act
- Letter in Support of the Mortgage Forgiveness Tax Relief Act (Senate and House), Dec. 6, 2013 and Press Release (Dec. 19, 2013)
- Letter opposing H.R. 3211 which undermines the Dodd-Frank Ability to Repay rules, October 17, 2013
- H.R. 1077 (Huizenga)/S. 949 (Manchin) Consumer Mortgage Choice Act, which weakens protections for mortgages with higher costs and fees. Letter in opposition.
Payday Lending and Small Dollar Loans
- Letter opposing H.R. 1566, the "Consumer Credit Access, Innovation, and Modernization Act" (May 6, 2013) creating a federal charter for internet payday and other lenders.
- S. 673 (Durbin)/H.R. 5130 (Cartwright), Protecting Consumers from Unreasonable Credit Rates Act. April 9, 2013 support letter to Sen. Durbin. July 10, 2014 support letter to Rep. Cartwright.
- Letter supporting the Stopping Abuse and Fraud in Electronic (SAFE) Lending Act of 2013 (Bonamici), March 4, 2013
Student Loans and Financial Aid
- S.1399 (Durbin), amending the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cap the interest rate on student loans consolidated or refinanced during military service
- Coalition letter opposing HR 2637 (Foxx), and supporting the Academic Freedom through Regulatory Relief Act, July 19, 2013
- S.1208 (Tester)/H.R. 1551 (Meeks), Consumer Rental Purchase Agreement Act. Consumer opposition letter.
112th Congress (2011-2012)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- S. 3468 (Portman), Independent Agency Regulatory Analysis Act – oppose, Sept. 7, 2012
- Letter opposing H.R. 1121 (Bachus) and H.R. 1315 (Duffy), which weakens CFPB, May 3, 2011
- Letters expressing concern about the harm to consumers and the preemptive effects of HR 6363 (Renacci), The Credit Access and Inclusion Act, which promotes full file utility credit reporting. NCLC Testimony, Sept. 13, 2012
- Letter supporting H.R. 321 (Cohen), Equal Employment for All Act (2009) and Letter to cosponsor H.R. 321 (2012)
- Letter supporting H.R. 2086 (Shuler) and S.2149 (Merkley), Medical Debt Responsibility Act - support (2012) NCLC Testimony
Debt Collection/Cell Phone Privacy
- Letter opposing H.R. 3035 (Terry), Mobile Informational Call Act of 2011, which permits businesses to make informational and debt collection calls to cell phones without consent, Oct. 27, 2011
- Model State Law on Mortgage Servicing: An Outline, Jan. 2011
- S. 489 (Reed), Preserving Homes and Communities Act of 2011
- S. 824 (Sherrod Brown), Foreclosure Fraud and Homeowner Abuse Prevention Act of 2011
Federal Charter for Payday Lenders
Letter opposing H.R. 6139 (Luetkemeyer), which gives payday lenders a federal charter regulated by the OCC, July 2012
- S. 3085 (Boxer/Menendez), The Responsible Homeowner Refinancing Act of 2012. Opposition Corker Safe Harbor Amendment, Civil Rights letter Nov. 13, 2012 and Americans for Financial Reform letter Nov. 19, 2012H.R. 3619 (Ellison/ Stark) Permanently Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2011
- S. 2909 (Merkley), Rebuilding Equity Act of 2012
- S. 2072 (Franken), Helping Homeowners Refinance Act of 2012Bills extending exclusion of mortgage principal reduction from taxable income:HR 4202 (Rangel)
HR 4250 (Lungren)
HR 4290 (McDermott)
HR 4336 (Reed, NY)
SB 2250 (Stabenow)
- Letter opposing HR 2446, RESPA Home Warranty Clarification Act of 2011, exempt payments on home service contracts from the ban on kickbacks and referral fees.
- Letter opposing H.R. 1588 (Canseco), which preempts state rent-to-own laws.
111th Congress (2009-2010)
- Letter supporting H.R. 1020, Arbitration Fairness Act, July 26, 2010
- Comments on the Treasury Department’s proposal to mandate all electronic deposits by 2013, August 16, 2010
- Letter in Support of Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Miller), July 27, 2010
- Letter supporting Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act, H.R. 200/H.R. 1106 (Conyers), March 4, 2009
- Credit CARD Act, S. 414 (Dodd): NCLC Letter, Consumer Groups Letter, Feb. 12, 2009
- Letter in Support of Maloney Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights, Jan. 12, 2009
- Foreclosure Rescue Fraud Act, S. 116/H.R. 1213: Testimony: Legislative Solutions for Preventing Loan Modification and Foreclosure Rescue Fraud, May 6, 2009
- Letter supporting the Medical Debt Relief Act of 2009, H.R. 3421 (Kilroy), July 26, 2010
- Letters in support of H.R. 3904, the Overdraft Protection Act of 2009 and S. 1799, the Fairness and Accountability in Receiving (FAIR) Overdraft Coverage Act of 2009
- NCLC Comments to the Federal Reserve Re: Regulation Overdraft Loans under Regulation E, Mar. 30, 2009
- Support letter for S. 582, Interest Rate Reduction Act, Mar. 27, 2009
- Letter opposing payday loan bill, H.R. 1214 (Gutierrez), Mar. 23, 2009
- Letter Supporting Benefit Card Fairness Act, H.R. 4552, May 2, 2010
Regulatory Reform and Preemption
- Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2009 (H.R. 4173)
- Coalition Letter Supporting Independent CFPA, Feb. 19, 2010
- Consumer Statement in Support of President's Proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency, June 17, 2009