On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. Visit Congress.gov for the status of a bill or to contact a member by phone or email (or call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121). You can find out who your representative is here, and Members' Twitter handles are here. You can also email your representatives.Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
115th Congress (2017-18)(See the Archive page for earlier Congresses.)
Access to Justice
- H.R. 4738, Mutual Fund Litigation Reform Act. Consumer opposition letter. Jan. 16, 2018
- Coalition letter to Senate Judiciary Committee opposing weakening the legal rights of individuals and small businesses, Nov. 7, 2017
- Letter opposing arbitration provisions of the CHOICE Act.
- H.R. 585 (Ellison), Investor Choice Act of 2017.. Coalition support letter
- Letter opposing resolution to overturn the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order and its prohibition on forced arbitration of civil rights and labor law claims against federal contractors.
- H.R. 985 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2017. Coalition opposition letter.
- Letter opposing H.R. 720 (Lamar Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act (LARA), H.R. 725 (Buck), Innocent Party Protection Act, and H.R. 732 (Goodlatte) (Stop Settlement Slush Funds Act). Feb. 1, 2017
Anti-Regulation/Consumer Protection Bills
- S.J. Reg. 57 overturning CFPB auto finance discrimination guidance. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 1116, (Tipton), Taking Account of Institutions with Low Operation Risk Act of 2017 (TAILOR Act). Opposition letter.
- H.R. 4545 (Tipton), Financial Institutions Examination Fairness and Reform Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 4607 (Loudermilk), Comprehensive Regulatory Review Act (Oppose)
- AZ HB 2434, Innovation Regulatory Sandbox, Jan. 24, 2018
- H.R. 1264 (Williams), the Community Financial Institution Exemption Act. Oppose.
- HR 4607 (Loudermilk), the Comprehensive Regulatory Review Act. Oppose.
- Consumer letter opposing several deregulatory bills including HR 1116 (Tipton), TAILOR Act and HR 3072 (Clay), Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Examination and Reporting Threshold Act
- H.R. 2133 (Luetkemeyer), Community Lending Enhancement and Regulatory Relief Act. Consumer opposition letter.
- Letter Opposing Anti-Regulatory Bills for HSGAC Mark-up; the Regulatory Accountability Act, S. 951, the REINS Act, S. 21,The Midnight Rules Relief Act, S. 34, the Small Business Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act, S. 584, the Early Participation in Regulations Act, S. 579, May 16, 2017
- Coalition letter to Senate Banking Committee in response to their economic growth initiative, Apr. 14, 2017
- Letter to President Trump opposing executive order on eliminating 2 regulations for every new regulation, Feb. 28, 2017
- H.R. 1004 (Walberg), Regulatory Integrity Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 1009,OIRA Insight, Reform, and Accountability Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 998, Searching for and Cutting Regulations that are Unnecessarily Burdensome Act of 2017 (SCRUB Act). Opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing use of the Congressional Review Act to repeal public protections.
- H.R. 5 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act. NCLC and coalition opposition letters.
- S. 951 (Portman), Regulatory Accountability Act. NCLC statement. AFR coalition opposition letter
- H.R. 21 (Issa), Midnight Rules. NCLC opposition letter.
- H.R. 26 (Collins), Regulation from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act (REINS Act). NCLC opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- H.R. 3072 (Clay), Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Examination and Reporting Threshold Act. Opposition letter.
- Letter opposing bill to cut CFPB salaries
- Coalition letter opposing the Appropriations process for CFPB funding
- H.R. 3746 (Duffy), Business of Insurance Regulatory Reform Act of 2017. Consumer opposition letter.
- H.R. 10 (Hensarling), Financial CHOICE Act of 2017. NCLC and coalition opposition letters.
- S. 105 (Fischer) to create CFPB commission (oppose)
- S. 2362 (Reed): Control Your Personal Credit Information Act (support)
- S. 2289 (Warren/Warner): Data Breach Prevention and Compensation Act (support)
- S. 2188 (Menendez):Consumer Data Protection Act (support)
- H.R. 435 (Ellison): Credit Access and Inclusion Act (Incorporated into H.R. 5078 (Hill). Consumer opposition letter.
- HR 3755: Comprehensive Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act of 2017 (Waters). Consumer support letter
- S.1786: Stopping Errors in Consumer Use and Reporting (SECURE) Act of 2017 (Schatz) Support
- S. 1816 (Warren): Freedom from Equifax Exploitation (FREE) Act (support)
- S. 1810 (Wyden): Free Credit Freeze Act (support)
- S. 1819: The Equal Employment for All Act (Warren). Consumer support letter.
- H.R. 2359: FCRA Liability Harmonization Act (Loudermilk) (eliminating FCRA punitive damages and capping class action statutory damages to $500,000) (letter of opposition)
- Credit Services Protection Act of 2017 (Royce) (oppose) Letter and Testimony
- S. 744 (Donnelly) and H.R.2683 (Delaney) Protecting Veterans Credit Act of 2017 (support)
- Letter supporting Section 653 of the National Defense Authorization Act
- H.R. 5082 (Gonzalez-Mooney) (previously filed as H.R. 4550 and H.R. 1849 ), Practice of Law Technical Clarification Act of 2017. Consumer opposition letter || Letter to Rep. Gonzalez from Texas attorneys and law professors || Issue Brief: U.S. House Bill Would Allow Lawyers to Abuse Consumers in Debt Collection Lawsuits
- S.J. Reg. 57 overturning CFPB auto finance discrimination guidance. Consumer opposition letter. Coalition for Sensible Safeguards opposition letter.
- Letter opposing amendment to HUD appropriations bill that would restrict lending for fair lending enforcement, Sept. 6, 2017
- Coalition letter opposing Moolenaar pyramid scheme amendment in omnibus spending bill
- H.R. 2706 (Luetkemeyer), Financial Institution Consumer Protection Act of 2017. Consumer opposition letter.
- Letter opposing Moolenaar amendment to FY18 Financial Services and General Government Appropriations bill restricting FTC's authority over pyramid schemes.
- H.R. 5555 (Waters), S. 2698 (Cortez Masto), The FHA Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2018 (Support)
- H.R. 2226 (Barr), Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act Opposition Letter
- H.R. 5078 (Hill), TRID Improvement Act (formerly H.R. 3978), Opposition letter
- Coalition letter opposing H.R. 1153, the Mortgage Choice Act
- Letter to support S. 2304, the Protecting Veterans from Predatory Lending Act of 2018
- H.R. 2226, Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act (oppose)
- H.R. 2954, the Home Mortgage Disclosure Adjustment Act, Opposition letter
- Coalition letter opposing H.R. 3971, the Community Institution Mortgage Relief Act of 2017
- Coalition letter opposing H.R. 1699, the Preserving Access to Manufactured Housing Act of 2017
- Joint Letter of Opposition to H.R. 2570, the Mortgage Fairness Act of 2017
- Coalition letter opposing S. 2155, Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act | Opposition Letter Prior to Senate Floor Vote
- NCLC/CRL letter opposing several bills rolling back Dodd-Frank housing protections (H.R. 3299, H.R. 1153, H.R. 3221, H.R. 3978)
- Letter expressing concerns regarding FHA energy efficency provisions in S. 146
- H.R. 916, Risk Management and Homeowner Stability Act prohibiting guarantee fee offsets (support)
Payday and Installment Lending
- H.R. 4439 (Hollingsworth), Modernizing Credit Opportunities Act. (Oppose)
- H.R. 4861 (Hollingsworth), Ensuring Quality Unbiased Access to Loans Act of 2018 (EQUAL Act). Opposition letter.
- H.J.Res. 122 to repeal the CFPB payday loan rule. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 3760 (Cartwright, Cohen) / S 1659 (Durbin, Merkley) Protecting Consumers from Unreasonable Credit Rates Act, Coalition support letter
- H.R. 3299 (McHenry)/S. 1642 (Warner), Protecting Consumers’ Access to Credit Act of 2017. Consumer opposition letter.
- H.R. 2396, Privacy Notification Technical Clarification Act (Trott). Consumer opposition letter.
- S. Res. 19, H.J. Res. 62 & 73 blocking CFPB prepaid card rule. Coalition opposition letter.
- Letter opposing amendment to S. 2155 re rehabilitation of private student loans.
- HB 4508, the PROSPER Act, Opposition letter
Tax-Related Consumer Protection
- Consumer group letter re HR 54444, Tax Administration Bill, Regarding Private Debt Collection and Free File Provisions, April 18, 2018