On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. To find out the status of a bill and current co-sponsors, visit www.thomas.gov. To contact a member of Congress about a particular bill, call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, or look up the numbers for the individual offices of the House and Senate. You can find out who your representative is here.
Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
115th Congress (2017-18)(See the Archive page for earlier Congresses.)
Access to Justice
- Letter opposing arbitration provisions of the CHOICE Act.
- H.R. 585. Coalition support letter
- Letter opposing resolution to overturn the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order and its prohibition on forced arbitration of civil rights and labor law claims against federal contractors.
- H.R. 985 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2017. Coalition opposition letter.
- Letter opposing H.R. 720 (Lamar Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act (LARA), H.R. 725 (Buck), Innocent Party Protection Act, and H.R. 732 (Goodlatte) (Stop Settlement Slush Funds Act). Feb. 1, 2017
Anti-Regulation/Consumer Protection Bills
- Letter Opposing Anti-Regulatory Bills for HSGAC Mark-up; the Regulatory Accountability Act, S. 951, the REINS Act, S. 21,The Midnight Rules Relief Act, S. 34, the Small Business Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act, S. 584, the Early Participation in Regulations Act, S. 579, May 16, 2017
- Coalition letter to Senate Banking Committee in response to their economic growth initiative, Apr. 14, 2017
- Letter to President Trump opposing executive order on eliminating 2 regulations for every new regulation, Feb. 28, 2017
- H.R. 1004 (Walberg), Regulatory Integrity Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 1009,OIRA Insight, Reform, and Accountability Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 998, Searching for and Cutting Regulations that are Unnecessarily Burdensome Act of 2017 (SCRUB Act). Opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing use of the Congressional Review Act to repeal public protections.
- H.R. 5 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act. NCLC and coalition opposition letters.
- S. 951 (Portman), Regulatory Accountability Act. NCLC statement. AFR coalition opposition letter
- H.R. 21 (Issa), Midnight Rules. NCLC opposition letter.
- H.R. 26 (Collins), Regulation from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act (REINS Act). NCLC opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- H.R. 10 (Hensarling), Financial CHOICE Act of 2017. NCLC and coalition opposition letters.
- S. 105 (Fischer) to create CFPB commission (oppose)
- H.R. 2359 FCRA Liability Harmonization Act (Loudermilk) (eliminating FCRA punitive damages and capping class action statutory damages to $500,000)(oppose)
- H.R. 534 Credit Access and Inclusion Act of 2017 (letter of opposition to 2016 version)
- S. 744 (Donnelly) and H.R.2683 (Delaney) Protecting Veterans Credit Act of 2017 (support)
- H.R. 1849 (Trott), Practice of Law Technical Clarification Act of 2017. Consumer opposition letter.
- S. Res. 19, H.J. Res. 62 & 73 blocking CFPB prepaid card rule. Coalition opposition letter.