On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. To find out the status of a bill and current co-sponsors, visit www.thomas.gov.
Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
115th Congress (2017-18)(See the Archive page for earlier Congresses.)
Access to Justice
- H.R. 985 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2017 (oppose).
- Letter opposing H.R. 720 (Lamar Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act (LARA), H.R. 725 (Buck), Innocent Party Protection Act, and H.R. 732 (Goodlatte) (Stop Settlement Slush Funds Act). Feb. 1, 2017
Anti-Regulation/Consumer Protection Bills
- Coalition letter opposing use of the Congressional Review Act to repeal public protections.
- H.R. 5 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act. NCLC and coalition opposition letters.
- H.R. 21 (Issa), Midnight Rules. NCLC opposition letter.
- H.R. 26 (Collins), Regulation from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act (REINS Act). NCLC opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- S. 105 (Fischer) to create CFPB commission (oppose)
Congressional Review Act Votes to Block Regulations
- Coalition letters to House and Senate supporting regulations implementing the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order and its ban on forced arbitration.
- H.R. 585. Coalition support letter.