In our increasingly complex financial world, vigilant government oversight is essential to protect consumers in the financial marketplace. NCLC works to improve our consumer protection system to ensure that it will stop abuses and will create incentives for the financial industry to offer fair, sustainable financial products and services.
CFPB Policy Analysis
CFPB Policy Briefs, Reports & Press Releases
- Statement of NCLC’s Lauren Saunders re: Legal Standing of CFPB Director on Auto Lending Rule, Jan. 18, 2017
- Optional, Early Compliance is a Common Regulatory Tool: Early Adopters Can Choose Phase-In Date issue brief and Press Release, May 2015
- Press Release: Consumers win with CFPB credit report changes, Feb. 27, 2014
- Statement re: CFPB's new mortgage rules, January 9, 2013
- More Briefs Reports & Press Releases ...
- Comment to OMB on executive order on "Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs"
- Comments to Department of Defense on limitations on terms of consumer credit extended to service members and departments, Dec. 23, 2014
- Comments on Policy to Encourage Trial Disclosure Programs, Feb. 15, 2013
- Comments to CFPB on procedures to designate a nonbank as risky and in need of supervision, July 24, 2012
- More CFPB Comments ...
- AFR coalition letter opposing S. 951 (Portman), Regulatory Accountability Act, May 16, 2017.
- Advocates' letter to the U.S. Senate opposing riders to the 2017 appropriation bill that would obstruct the CFPB's ability to protect consumers against discriminatory and unfair auto lending, May 16, 2016
- CFPB RFI – Feedback on Consumer Complaint Narratives and Data Normalization, Aug. 31, 2015
- Group letter to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution defending the constitutionality of Dodd-Frank Act and the CFPB, July 23, 2015
- Opposition Letter to CFPB opposing H.R. 2213 which insulates lenders from accountability when they make misleading disclosures to homeowners (Letter to Congress), May 14, 2015
- Coalition letter opposing efforts to weaken the CFPB, Jan. 21, 2015
- Letter opposing Carper Amendment on Attorney General Enforcement and Preemption, May 13, 2010
- Coalition Letter Supporting Financial Reform, April 2010
- More CFPB Letters ...
- NCLC testimony to U.S. Senate Banking Committee re: hearing on Effects of Consumer Financial Regulations and hearing re: CFPB's semi-annual report to Congress, April 5 and 7, 2016
- Testimony re Safeguarding Consumer Protection and the Role of the Federal Reserve, July 2009
- Press Release: Court to Consider Constitutionality of CFPB in PHH v CFPB, May 23, 2017 || Amicus Brief, Mar. 31, 2017
- Press Release: National Consumer Law Center Statement on Appellate Court Order to Vacate and Review Questionable Decision on Trump Power over Consumer Watchdog, Feb. 17, 2017
- Press Release: Civil rights and consumer groups amicus brief to the U.S. District Court of Appeals for D.C. in PHH Corporation v Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, November 29, 2016 || Amicus brief, Nov. 29, 2016
- The CFPB has returned 12 billion dollars to 29 million consumers but a dangerous bill in Congress (the Financial Choice Act) would gut the CFPB. Watch the video to learn more. May 26, 2017.
2/6/17 USA Today "Protect our troops, not Wall Street" op-ed by NCLC Associate Director Lauren Saunders urging President Trump to keep a strong CFPB and its director Rich Cordray
CFPB Consumer Complaints
CFPB Tell Your Story
- Webinar: The New Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: What Can It Do, What Should It Do?, September 15, 2010
By: Lauren Saunders, Kathleen Keest (CRL)
Presentation || Recording