In our increasingly complex financial world, vigilant government oversight is essential to protect consumers in the financial marketplace. NCLC works to improve our consumer protection system to ensure that it will stop abuses and will create incentives for the financial industry to offer fair, sustainable financial products and services.
CFPB Policy Analysis
CFPB Policy Briefs, Reports & Press Releases
- Press release: Trump Nominates Office of Management & Budget’s Kathy Kraninger to Lead the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, June 18, 2018
- Press release: Acting Director Mulvaney Fires Members of Advisory Boards of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Endangering Financial Well-Being of American Families, June 6, 2018
- Press release: Consumer Advisory Board Members of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Alarmed by Bureau’s Shift to Deregulate Industry Rather than Protect Consumers, June 4, 2018
- Press release: CFPB Should Not Weaken its Investigations of Wrongdoing, April 26, 2018
- Press release: Consumer Advocates Explain Crucial Public Interest in a Strong Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Feb 6, 2018
- Press release: Disturbing Report of Consumer Bureau Pull-Back on Equifax Investigation Compels Increased Efforts to Protect Consumers’ Data, Feb 5, 2018
- Press release: Court Affirms Consumer Watchdog’s Independence; Trump Must Appoint an Independent Director, Jan 31, 2018
- Press release: Consumer Advocates File Amicus Brief in Support of Acting CFPB Director Leandra English, Dec. 8, 2017 and Amicus Brief
- Statement of NCLC’s Lauren Saunders Regarding Appointment of Mulvaney as Interim Director of Consumer Bureau, Nov. 25, 2017
- Press statement re: Rich Cordray Stepping Down as Director of the Consumer Bureau, Nov. 24, 2017.
- Statement of NCLC’s Lauren Saunders re: Legal Standing of CFPB Director on Auto Lending Rule, Jan. 18, 2017
- Optional, Early Compliance is a Common Regulatory Tool: Early Adopters Can Choose Phase-In Date issue brief and Press Release, May 2015
- Press Release: Consumers win with CFPB credit report changes, Feb. 27, 2014
- Statement re: CFPB's new mortgage rules, January 9, 2013
- More Briefs Reports & Press Releases ...
- Coalition comments in response to CFPB's RFI for comment to assist the Bureau in assessing its handling of consumer complaints and consumer inquiries, July 16, 2018
- Coalition comments in response to CFPB's RFI on their financial education programs, July 9, 2018
- Coalition comments regarding CFPB's RFI to assist the Bureau in assessing the overall effectiveness and accessibility of its guidance materials and activities to members of the general public, including regulated entities, July 2, 2018
- Group comments regarding CFPB's overall efficiency and effectiveness of its rulemaking processes, June 7, 2018
- Comments on the CFPB's public reporting practices of consumer complaint information, June 4, 2018
- Coalition comments in response to CFPB's RFI regarding external engangements, May 29, 2018
- Comments on the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the CFPB's Supervision Program whether any changes to the program would be appropriate. Detailed comments of consumer groups and shorter coalition comments, May 21, 2018
- Comments in response to CFPB request for information about the efficiency and effectiveness of its processes related to the enforcement of Federal consumer financial law. Consumer comments and Shorter coalition comments, May 14, 2018
- Comments in response to request for information about the CFPB's civil investigation demands and processes. Coalition comments || Longer consumer comments,
- Comment to OMB on executive order on "Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs", 2017
- Comments to Department of Defense on limitations on terms of consumer credit extended to service members and departments, Dec. 23, 2014
- Comments on Policy to Encourage Trial Disclosure Programs, Feb. 15, 2013
- Comments to CFPB on procedures to designate a nonbank as risky and in need of supervision, July 24, 2012
- More CFPB Comments ...
- Coalition sign-on letter regarding CFPB's Rulemaking Processes, June 7, 2018
- Follow-up letter by members of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) Consumer Advisory Board (CAB) to CFPB's Acting Director Mulvaney re the cancellation of statutorily-required meetings, May 25, 2018
- Consumer Advisory Board's letter to CFPB's Acting Director Mulvaney re concerns about the policies and direction of the Bureau, May 18, 2018
- Letter to CFPB's Acting Director Mulvaney about preserving the public complaints database, Apr. 30, 2018
- AFR coalition letter opposing S. 951 (Portman), Regulatory Accountability Act, May 16, 2017.
- Advocates' letter to the U.S. Senate opposing riders to the 2017 appropriation bill that would obstruct the CFPB's ability to protect consumers against discriminatory and unfair auto lending, May 16, 2016
- CFPB RFI – Feedback on Consumer Complaint Narratives and Data Normalization, Aug. 31, 2015
- Group letter to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution defending the constitutionality of Dodd-Frank Act and the CFPB, July 23, 2015
- Opposition Letter to CFPB opposing H.R. 2213 which insulates lenders from accountability when they make misleading disclosures to homeowners (Letter to Congress), May 14, 2015
- Coalition letter opposing efforts to weaken the CFPB, Jan. 21, 2015
- Letter opposing Carper Amendment on Attorney General Enforcement and Preemption, May 13, 2010
- Coalition Letter Supporting Financial Reform, April 2010
- More CFPB Letters ...
- NCLC testimony to U.S. Senate Banking Committee re: hearing on Effects of Consumer Financial Regulations and hearing re: CFPB's semi-annual report to Congress, April 5 and 7, 2016
- Testimony re Safeguarding Consumer Protection and the Role of the Federal Reserve, July 2009
- Press Release: Court to Consider Constitutionality of CFPB in PHH v CFPB, May 23, 2017 || Amicus Brief, Mar. 31, 2017
- Press Release: National Consumer Law Center Statement on Appellate Court Order to Vacate and Review Questionable Decision on Trump Power over Consumer Watchdog, Feb. 17, 2017
- Press Release: Civil rights and consumer groups amicus brief to the U.S. District Court of Appeals for D.C. in PHH Corporation v Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, November 29, 2016 || Amicus brief, Nov. 29, 2016
- The CFPB has returned 12 billion dollars to 29 million consumers but a dangerous bill in Congress (the Financial Choice Act) would gut the CFPB. Watch the video to learn more. May 26, 2017.
2/6/17 USA Today "Protect our troops, not Wall Street" op-ed by NCLC Associate Director Lauren Saunders urging President Trump to keep a strong CFPB and its director Rich Cordray
CFPB Consumer Complaints
CFPB Tell Your Story
- Webinar: The New Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: What Can It Do, What Should It Do?, September 15, 2010
By: Lauren Saunders, Kathleen Keest (CRL)
Presentation || Recording