- Press Release: Housing and Consumer Groups Statement on California A.B. 1284’s PACE Loan Ability-to-Repay Provisions, Sept. 15, 2017
- Issue brief: Residential Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Loans: The Perils of Easy Money for Clean Energy Improvements, Sept. 2017
There has been a sharp increase in homeowner problems with PACE loans. The laudable goal of improving home energy efficiency is being overshadowed by the lack of adequate consumer protections for these loans. This brief catalogs consumer stories and summarizes some of the abuses and challenges of PACE financing.
- The Department of Energy: Best Practice Guidelines for Residential PACE Financing: Consumer Protections, Dec. 15, 2016 (PowerPoint)
- Press Release: PACE Mortgages Still Risky Despite New Dept. of Energy Guidelines, Nov. 18, 2016
- Policy brief: PACE Energy Efficiency Loans: Good Intentions, Big Risks for Consumers, Sept. 2016
- Homeowner Stories: San Diego, CA (Elder Law & Advocacy)
PACE Loans in the News
- April 18, 2017, North Bay Business Journal "PACE green home-upgrade loans could get bigger legal leash"
- April 11, 2017, Florida Sun Sentinel "Federal suit says PACE home improvement loan program fails to disclose risks, costs"
- April 5, 2017, Wall Street Journal, Green-Energy PACE Home Loans Catch Congress's Ire
- Jan. 10, 2017 America’s Fastest-Growing Loan Category Has Eerie Echoes of Subprime Crisis (WSJ)
- April 30, 2016 CBS Los Angeles “ Goldstein Investigation: How Going Green Might Have You Seeing Red In The End” || Summary and quotes
- Oct 10, 2016 MarketWatch “These government-approved high-interest green loans are turning mortgage lending upside down” || Summary
- June 2, 2016 San Gabriel Valley Tribune "Watch out for these green-energy improvement loans that put homeowners at financial risk" || Summary
- November 14, 2016 The San Diego Reader “Solar-power financing could spell trouble: "I hate to see people lose their homes over something I was involved with” || Summary
- February 23, 2016 Comstock's Business Insight for the Capital Region "A Growing Green Debt? As PACE takes off, realtors warn that unwary homeowners are complicating their finances" || Summary
- September 27, 2016 The Sacramento Bee “Is rooftop solar worth it? Californians consider the questions as use, complaints rise” || Sumary and quotes
- May 3, 2016 The Sacramento Bee “Solar panel loans have spun out of control” || Summary
- BiggerPockets.com “Southern California Hero Program - Renovate America – Scam” || Summary
- July 19, 2016 California Association of Realtors “C.A.R. Statement on HUD Insuring FHA Mortgages with PACE Loans” || Summary
- March 28, 2015 Pedersen Real Estate “Some Big Problems with HERO PACE program - Homeowners Beware!” || Summary
- June 12, 2015 The Press Enterprise “MORENO VALLEY: Homebuyer files lawsuit over HERO-financed transaction” || Summary
- Oct. 5, 2015 The National Real Estate Post “Run From PACE Loans... Run” || Summary
- July 17, 2015 The Sacramento Bee "Energy Improvement program can hobble home sales" || Summary
- April 9, 2016 Ventura County Star "Opinion: Mark Chacon: Energy-efficiency loans could cause homeowner headaches" || Summary
- Policy Brief: Policy Recommendations for a Strong State Law on Land Contracts, April 2017
- Toxic Transactions: How Land Installment Contracts Once Again Threaten Communities of Color, July 2016
- In the News (Installment Contracts)
11/2/17 WSB-TV2, Atlanta (4:05 runtime) "Company accused of preying on low-income minorities trying to buy homes" in which NCLC / Atlanta Legal Aid attorney Sarah Bolling Mancini discusses a lawsuit brought by the two legal organizations against Harbour Portfolio for selling toxic land-installment contracts to unsuspecting families in Atlanta.
11/2/17 WSB-TV2, Atlanta digs into a national overview of the problem in a separate story (3:45 runtime)