The National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) receives funding under Title IV of the Older Americans Act to improve the quality and accessibility of legal assistance provided to vulnerable older Americans with consumer-related issues. Consumer problems threaten the independence and financial security of older Americans. NCLC provides legal assistance to attorneys and advocates for older Americans in the areas of consumer and energy law. Major topics of specialization at NCLC include foreclosure prevention and defense, bankruptcy, debt collection, unfair and deceptive practices, sales and warranties, energy assistance, and public utility practices.
- NCLC comments to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on Changes to the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage Program Requirements: Financial Assessments, Oct. 15, 2013
- U.S. Senate Banking subcommittee testimony on Long Term Sustainability for Reverse Mortgages: HECM's Impact on the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund, June 18, 2013
- NCLC Comments to the CFPB re: Consumer Use of Reverse Mortgages, Aug. 31, 2012
- Testimony of Margot Saunders before the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee re: Impact on Recipients of the Mandate for Direct Deposit of Social Security Benefits, September 12, 2012
- NCLC Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau re: Senior Financial Exploitation, Aug. 20, 2012
- Past, Present and Future Threats to Federal Safety Net Benefits in Bank Accounts, Margot F. Saunders, Johnson M. Tyler, University of North Carolina Banking Law Journal, Feb. 2012
- Runaway Bandwagon: How the Government’s Push for Direct Deposit of Social Security Exposes Seniors to Predatory Bank Loans Report (July 2010)
- Subprime Revisited: How Reverse Mortgage Lenders Put Older Homeowners' Equity at Risk Report (Oct. 2009)
- Consumer Information for Seniors
NCLC's National Elder Rights Training Project provides trainings nationwide on a broad range of topics. The Project is part of the Administration on Aging's National Legal Resource Center which provides technical support, case consultation and training to the nation's aging services network.