The following rulemakings are outstanding. Some agencies may accept comments after the deadline. For completed regulatory comments in a particular subject area, visit the appropriate Issues page or Regulatory Reform and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
All of the CFPB's requests for comment can be viewed here. All agencies' open rulemakings, and submitted comments, can be viewed at http://www.regulations.gov, which is searchable by docket number and other means.
Regulatory Review (mortgage appraisals, interchange fees)
- March 23, 2016 deadline to comment on whether various regulations (including those covering mortgage appraisal rules and debit card interchange fees) are outdated or need updates.
- Oct. 9, 2015 deadline to comment on proposed NACHA rules increasing the monitoring of payment processors. Consumer Comments.
Online Marketplace Lending
- Sept. 30, 2015 to comment on request for information from the Treasury Department about online marketplace lending using investment capital and data-driven online platforms to lend to small businesses and consumers.
- NCLC comments to the U.S. Department of Treasury's request for information on online marketplace lending, Sept. 30, 2015
- July 31, 2015 deadline to comment on the Department of Labor's proposed rulemaking regarding "Methods of Payment of Wages", July 31, 2015. Consumer comments
Same Day Fed Electronic Payments
- July 2, 2015 deadline to comment on Fed proposal to adopt a same day ACH service. Consumer comments.
California Payday Loans
- June 25, 2015 extended deadline to respond to California proposal to restrict internet payday loans and adopt other payday loan reforms.
- May 18, 2015 deadline to respond to CFPB's request for comments on how credit card market is function. First Set of Consumer Comments.
- June 17, 2015 deadline to respond to CFPB's request for information re credit card debt collection, add-on products, grace periods and online disclosures. Second Set of Consumer Comments.
Check Deposits, CRA and Other Regulations
- May 14, 2015 deadline to comment on whether OCC, FDIC or Fed regulations are outdated or unnecessary or unduly burden community banks. The regulations under review include the funds availability policies for check deposits and CRA regulations. Consumer Comments.
Mortgages by Small Creditors and in Rural or Underserved Areas
- March 30, 2015 deadline to comment on rules proposed by the CFPB, 80 Fed. Reg. 7769, RIN 3170–AA43, to provide greater exemptions from TILA rules on mortgage lending by certain small lenders.
Student Loan Servicing
- July 13, 2015 deadline to comment on CFPB's request for Information regarding student loan servicing. NCLC comments, NCLC/NACBA comments
- March 30, 2015 extended deadline to respond to Education Department's request for information on how it should restructure student loan servicing.
- March 23, 2015 deadline to comment on the CFPB's proposed rules governing prepaid and payroll cards. Fact Sheet: CFPB's Proposed Prepaid Card Rule. NCLC Comments.Comments only.Exhibits only.NCLC and Coalition Comments. Press Release.
Credit Card Agreement Database
- March 13, 2015 deadline to comment on CFPB proposal to suspend adding new credit card agreements to database pending improvements.
Used Car Rule
- March 17, 2015 extended deadline to comment on the FTC's proposed amendments to the Used Motor Vehicle Trade Regulation Rule.
- March 16, 2015 deadline to comment on mortgage servicing rules under TILA and RESPA proposed by the CFPB. NCLC Comments.
Safe Students Accounts
- March 16, 2015 deadline to comment on a "Safe Student Account Scorecard" that would help colleges to avoid partnering with financial institutions that offer checking and prepaid accounts with tricks and traps. Consumer comments.
CFPB Advisory Board Applications
- Feb. 28, 2015 deadline to apply to be a member of the CFPB's Consumer Advisory Board.
Model State Regulation of Virtual Currencies
- Feb. 16, 2015 deadline to comment on draft Model Regulatory Framework by the Conference of State Bank Supervisors that includes licensing, consumer protection, market stability, anti-money laundering, and cybersecurity requirements for state licensed virtual currency firms. Consumer Comments.
Same Day Electronic Payments
- Feb. 6, 2015 deadline to comment on NACHA proposal to enable same day electronic payment and settlement. Consumer Comments.
Federal Student Aid PIN system
- Comments to the U.S. Department of Education on Information Collection on Personal Authentication Service (PAS) for FSA ID, Jan. 20, 2015
CFPB Language Access Plan
- Jan. 6, 2015 deadline to comment on the CFPB's plan to provide services and information in languages other than English.
Military Lending Act
- Dec. 26, 2014 extended deadline to comment on DOD's proposed rules expanding the Military Lending Act's 36% rate cap and arbitration ban to more forms of credit. Consumer Comments.
CFPB No-Action Letters
- Dec. 15, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed CFPB policy on issuing no-action letters for innovative products that pose uncertainty as to legal rules. Consumer Comments.
Auto Lenders Subject to CFPB Examination
- Dec. 8, 2014 deadline to comment on CFPB proposed rules defining the larger participants in the auto lending market subject to CFPB examination. Comments.
Robo Calls to Cell Phone
- Comments filed Nov. 17, 2014 opposing Consumer Bankers Association petition to FCC to expand exemptions to Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Credit Practices Rule and Other Bank UDAPs
- Oct. 27, 2014 deadline to comment on proposal by bank regulators to repeal Regulation AA (setting forth unfair, deceptive or abusive practices by banks) (due to repeal of authority in Dodd-Frank Act). NCLC Comments.
Financial Coaching Evaluation
- Nov. 3, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed collection of information to evaluate financing coaching project.
Expanded HMDA mortgage data
- October 22, 2014 deadline to comment on CFPB proposal to expand the data that must be reported under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act and to simplify reporting requirements. Press Release and NCLC Comments
Telemarketing Sales Rule
- Nov. 13, 2014 to provide comments to the FTC on whether updates are needed to improve the TSR. Comments
Public access to CFPB complaint narratives
- September 22, 2014 extended deadline to submit comments on CFPB proposal to permit consumers to make available to the public the narratives of the complaints they submit to the CFPB on particular companies. Consumer comments.
- Sept. 10, 2014 deadline to respond to CFPB request for comments on mobile financial services. NCLC Comments.
Economic Growth and Regulatory Paperwork Reduction Act
- Sept. 2, 2014 deadline to comment on 10-year review of regulations that are outdated, unnecessary or burdensome. Consumer comments to OCC on preemption and Garn St. Germain and to Fed on remotely created checks and Regulation CC.
- Aug. 15, 2014 pre-workshop deadline and Oct. 15, 2014 final deadline for comments to the FTC on Big Data: A Tool for Inclusion or Exclusion?
CFPB debt collection survey
- August 22, 2014 extended deadline to submit comments on the CFPB's proposal to survey consumers about their experiences with debt collectors.
Annual Privacy Notices
- July 14, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed rule permitting companies that use a model form and limit data sharing to post their annual privacy notices online instead of by delivering them individually.
Truth in Lending Act – Regulation Z (Qualified Mortgage Rule)
- June 5, 2014 and July 7, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed CFPB amendments to the Truth in Lending Act, Regulation Z, Qualified Mortgage Rule. NCLC comments, Part 1 (6/5/14); NCLC Comments, Part 2 (7/7/14).
- June 6, 2014 extended deadline to comment on CFPB proposal to extend to 2020 a temporary exemption that permits insured institutions to estimate certain pricing disclosures for international remittances.
For-Profit Career Colleges
- May 27, 2014 deadline to respond to proposed rules by the Department of Education to protect students from predatory, poor-performing career colleges. Summary of proposal.
California Payday Loans
- May 21, 2014 deadline to respond to proposed California Department of Corporations regulations governing internet payday loans and the relationship between prepaid cards and payday loans. NCLC Comments.
TANF EBT Restrictions and Cash Access
- May 7, 2014 deadline to comment to HHS on proposed rules to implement ban on access to EBT cards at liquor, gambling and adult entertainment venues and requirement that states provide adequate access to cash benefits. NCLC Comments.
Supervision of Larger International Remittance Providers
- April 1, 2014 deadline to comment on the CFPB's proposal for how to define the larger international money transmitters who will be subject to CFPB supervision.
- February 28, 2014 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB on how it should regulate debt collectors. NCLC Comments and Shorter Coalition Comments. S. 2328 (Toomey), exempting attorneys from the FDCPA (oppose).
CFPB Consumer Advisory Board
- Feb. 28, 2014 deadline to apply to be a member of the CFPB's Consumer Advisory Board.
Collection of Data on Bank Fees and Remittances
- Feb. 13, 2014 deadline to submit comments to banking agencies on collection of data on overdraft, ATM and monthly fees and on remittance transfers. NCLC comments.
Mortgage Closing Process
FHA guaranteed mortgages
- July 14, 2014 deadline to comment on HUD's proposed HAWK pilot program underwhich first-time homebuyers will receive a discount on FHA mortgage insurance premiums if they complete a series of housing couseling courses from HUD-approved agencies. NCLC Comments
Integrated mortgage disclosures
- July 7, 2015 deadline to respond to CFPB request for comment on a proposal to extend the effective date for the new, TILA/RESPA-integrated mortgage disclosures. The disclosure rules and new forms were originally scheduled to become effective on August 1, 2015. The CFPB proposes to change that date to October 3, 2015. NCLC Comments
- Feb. 7, 2014 deadline to respond to CFPB request for information on the mortgage closing process.
- January 13, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed rules by NACHA imposing greater obligations on banks, payment processors and merchants to scrutinize the payments they originate and process. Consumer Comments.