The following rulemakings are outstanding. Some agencies may accept comments after the deadline. For completed regulatory comments in a particular subject area, visit the appropriate Issues page or Regulatory Reform and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
All of the CFPB's requests for comment can be viewed here. All agencies' open rulemakings, and submitted comments, can be viewed at http://www.regulations.gov, which is searchable by docket number and other means.
CFPB Language Access Plan
- Jan. 6, 2015 deadline to comment on the CFPB's plan to provide services and information in languages other than English.
CFPB No-Action Letters
- Dec. 15, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed CFPB policy on issuing no-action letters for innovative products that pose uncertainty as to legal rules.
Military Lending Act
- Nov. 28, 2014 deadline to comment on DOD's proposed rules expanding the Military Lending Act's 36% rate cap and arbitration ban to more forms of credit.
Robo Calls to Cell Phone
- Comments filed Nov. 17, 2014 opposing Consumer Bankers Association petition to FCC to expand exemptions to Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Credit Practices Rule and Other Bank UDAAPs
- Oct. 27, 2014 deadline to comment on proposal by bank regulators to repeal Regulation AA (setting forth unfair, deceptive or abusive practices by banks) (due to repeal of authority in Dodd-Frank Act). NCLC Comments.
Financial Coaching Evaluation
- Nov. 3, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed collection of information to evaluate financing coaching project.
Expanded HMDA mortgage data
- October 22, 2014 deadline to comment on CFPB proposal to expand the data that must be reported under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act and to simplify reporting requirements. Press Release and NCLC Comments
Telemarketing Sales Rule
- Nov. 13, 2014 to provide comments to the FTC on whether updates are needed to improve the TSR. Comments
Public access to CFPB complaint narratives
- September 22, 2014 extended deadline to submit comments on CFPB proposal to permit consumers to make available to the public the narratives of the complaints they submit to the CFPB on particular companies. Consumer comments.
- Sept. 10, 2014 deadline to respond to CFPB request for comments on mobile financial services. NCLC Comments.
Economic Growth and Regulatory Paperwork Reduction Act
- Sept. 2, 2014 deadline to comment on 10-year review of regulations that are outdated, unnecessary or burdensome. Consumer comments to OCC on preemption and Garn St. Germain and to Fed on remotely created checks and Regulation CC.
- Aug. 15, 2014 pre-workshop deadline and Oct. 15, 2014 final deadline for comments to the FTC on Big Data: A Tool for Inclusion or Exclusion?
CFPB debt collection survey
- August 22, 2014 extended deadline to submit comments on the CFPB's proposal to survey consumers about their experiences with debt collectors.
Annual Privacy Notices
- July 14, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed rule permitting companies that use a model form and limit data sharing to post their annual privacy notices online instead of by delivering them individually.
Truth in Lending Act – Regulation Z (Qualified Mortgage Rule)
- June 5, 2014 and July 7, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed CFPB amendments to the Truth in Lending Act, Regulation Z, Qualified Mortgage Rule. NCLC comments, Part 1 (6/5/14); NCLC Comments, Part 2 (7/7/14).
- June 6, 2014 extended deadline to comment on CFPB proposal to extend to 2020 a temporary exemption that permits insured institutions to estimate certain pricing disclosures for international remittances.
For-Profit Career Colleges
- May 27, 2014 deadline to respond to proposed rules by the Department of Education to protect students from predatory, poor-performing career colleges. Summary of proposal.
California Payday Loans
- May 21, 2014 deadline to respond to proposed California Department of Corporations regulations governing internet payday loans and the relationship between prepaid cards and payday loans. NCLC Comments.
TANF EBT Restrictions and Cash Access
- May 7, 2014 deadline to comment to HHS on proposed rules to implement ban on access to EBT cards at liquor, gambling and adult entertainment venues and requirement that states provide adequate access to cash benefits. NCLC Comments.
Supervision of Larger International Remittance Providers
- April 1, 2014 deadline to comment on the CFPB's proposal for how to define the larger international money transmitters who will be subject to CFPB supervision.
- February 28, 2014 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB on how it should regulate debt collectors. NCLC Comments and Shorter Coalition Comments. S. 2328 (Toomey), exempting attorneys from the FDCPA (oppose).
CFPB Consumer Advisory Board
- Feb. 28, 2014 deadline to apply to be a member of the CFPB's Consumer Advisory Board.
Collection of Data on Bank Fees and Remittances
- Feb. 13, 2014 deadline to submit comments to banking agencies on collection of data on overdraft, ATM and monthly fees and on remittance transfers. NCLC comments.
Mortgage Closing Process
FHA guaranteed mortgages
- July 14, 2014 deadline to comment on HUD's proposed HAWK pilot program underwhich first-time homebuyers will receive a discount on FHA mortgage insurance premiums if they complete a series of housing couseling courses from HUD-approved agencies. NCLC Comments
- Feb. 7, 2014 deadline to respond to CFPB request for information on the mortgage closing process.
- January 13, 2014 deadline to comment on proposed rules by NACHA imposing greater obligations on banks, payment processors and merchants to scrutinize the payments they originate and process. Consumer Comments.
U.S. Payment System
- December 13, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the Federal Reserve Board on how to improve the U.S. Payment System. Comments urging Fed to ban remotely created checks.
Mortgage Statements and Other Amendments
- November 22, 2013 deadline to file comments on CFPB's rule amending provisions in the 2013 Mortgage Rules Under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (Regulation X) and the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z), 78 Fed. Reg. 62993 (October 23, 2013), including a periodic statement exemption for borrowers in bankruptcy and clarified pre-counseling disclosures for high-cost loans. NCLC Comments.
Telephone Bill Cramming
- November 18, 2013 deadline to file comments on FCC's proposed rule Empowering Consumers To Prevent and Detect Billing for Unauthorized Charges (''Cramming''), 78 Fed. Reg. 61250 (October 3, 3013).
- October 31, 2013 deadline to respond to Department of the Treasury's request for comments, 78 Fed. Reg. 60376 (October 1, 2013), on their information collection titled, ''Reverse Mortgage Products: Guidance for Managing Compliance and Reputation Risks.''
FHA Guaranteed Mortgages
- October 30, 2013 deadline to submit comments on HUD's proposed rules on its definition of "qualified mortgage" for insured and guaranteed single family mortgages, 78 Fed. Reg. 59890 (September 30, 2013).
Remotely Created Checks, Deposits to Prepaid Cards and Mobile Deposits
- September 18, 2013 comments to the Fed and CFPB on amendments to Regulation CC.
Military Small Dollar Loans
- August 1, 2013 deadline to respond to DOD request for comments, 78 Fed. Reg. 36134 (June 17, 2013), RIN 0790-Aj10, on updates needed to military small dollar loan protections. Coalition comments.
Remotely Created Checks and Payment Orders
- August 8, 2013 deadline to respond to proposed rules by the FTC banning certain forms of payment in connection with telemarketing sales. NCLC Comments. Coalition Comments.
- July 22, 2013 deadline to respond to CFPB request for comments, 78 Fed. Reg. 39902 (July 2, 2013), RIN 3170-AA37, on proposed amendments to several mortgage rules concerning loss mitigation procedures, qualified mortgage rules, and exemptions for creditors in rural and underserved areas.
Consumer Financial Civil Penalty Fund
- July 8, 2013 deadline to comment on CFPB's proposed rule creating the Consumer Financial Civil Penalty Fund to compensate victims and fund consumer education activities
Bank Payday Loans
- May 30, 2013 deadline to comment on proposed guidances from the OCC and FDIC addressing concerns about bank payday loan. Consumer Coalition Comments. NCLC comments on prepaid card payday loans.
Student Loan Servicing
- May 28, 2013 deadline to comment on CFPB's proposed rule Defining Larger Participants of the Student Loan Servicing Market for purposes of supervision.
Delay of Loan Compensation Rules
- May 25, 2013 deadline to comment on CFPB's proposed rule delaying the restriction of loan originator compensation until June 1, 2013.
- May 6, 2013 NCLC comments supporting collection of data on overdraft, monthly and ATM fees
Student Loan Disability Discharges
- May 3, 2013 deadline to comment on Department of Education's total and permanent disability discharge form for student loan borrowers. NCLC Comments.
Private Student Loan Repayment Options
- April 8, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB on ideas to expand repayment options available to private student loan borrowers, including modifications and refinancing. NCLC Comments. Shorter Coalition Comments.
Financial Products Marketed to College Students
- March 18, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB about financial products and services marketed to higher education students and how partnerships between schools and financial institutions can promote positive financial decisionmaking. NCLC comments.
Used Car Rule
- March 13, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the FTC on proposed changes to the required "Buyer's Guide" disclosures for used car sales. NCLC Comments.
Door-to-Door Sales Rule
- March 4, 2013 deadline to comment on FTC's proposal to increase from $25 to $130 the trigger for right to cancel a door-to-door sales contract.
- Feb. 25, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB about the proposal to revise ability-to-pay standards for mortgages. The CFPB is soliciting comment specifically on loan originator compensation related to ability-to-pay and a number of exemptions from the new standards. Model comment letter. NCLC Comments.
- Feb. 19, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB about the credit card market and the impact of the Credit CARD Act of 2009. NCLC Comments
CFPB Trial Disclosures
- Feb. 15, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the CFPB about its proposal to waive disclosure requirements for companies engaged in pilot programs to test new forms of disclosures.
Tax liability for discharged debt
- March 4, 2013 deadline to submit comments to the IRS on whether governmental and certain financial entities should issue a Form 1099-C when debt is no longer being collected.
- Jan. 15 and 30, 2013 deadline to comment on CFPB's proposed amendments to its remittance rules. Comments on the proposed delay of the effective date for the remittance rules are due January 15. Comments on the proposed rule on disclosure of fees and taxes, and liability for errors, are due January 30. NCLC Comments.
Credit Cards and Household Income
- January 7, 2013 deadline to comment on proposed CFPB rules amending ability-to-pay requirements to permit consideration of household income. NCLC Comments.
FDIC Underbanked Survey
- Dec. 18, 2012 deadline to comment on survey that will be conducted in 2013 to identify efforts by financial institutions to reach underbanked, factors that impede access to bank accounts, and the size of the unbanked market.