113th Congress (2013-2014)
- H.R.3137 (Schakowsky) & S. 1534 (Harkin), Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Support)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- S. 2732 (Toomey),Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Examination and Reporting Threshold Act of 2014. Consumer coalition letter in opposition.
- H.R. 3193 (Duffy), Consumer Financial Protection and Soundness Improvement Act of 2013, a package of bills designed to gut the CFPB. Consumer opposition letter. Feb. 11, 2014
Consumer Freedom of Speech
- H.R.5499 (Swalwell), Consumer Review Freedom Act of 2014 (support)
Fair Debt Collection
- S. 2328 (Toomey), exempting attorneys from the FDCPA (Opposition Letter), May 12, 2014
Housing Finance Reform
- NCLC Statement on Passage of Housing Finance Bill (S.1217) in Senate Banking Committee, May 15, 2014
- Analysis of Servicing Provisions in Johnson-Crapo Discussion Draft, April 2014
- Letter Opposing H.R. 3211, the "Mortgage Choice Act of 2014.", Sept. 15, 2014
- Letter Opposing H.R. 1779, which would weaken protections for manufactured home loans, Sept. 4, 2014
- H.R. 5148 (Luetkemeyer), Access to Affordable Mortgages Act of 2014, which exempts certain mortgages from appraisal requirements. AFR letter in opposition.
- H.R. 4963, National Homeowners Bill of Rights Act of 2014 (Support).
- H.R. 5553, Preventing Improper Foreclosures Act of 2014 (Support)
Operation Choke Point
- H.R. 4986 (Luetkemeyer), End Operation Choke Point Act of 2014. Testimony and Letter in opposition.
- Letters to House and Senate against bills to weaken and in support of Operation Choke Point.
Prepaid and Payroll Cards
- Press release supporting CA AB 2252 which protects child support deposited on prepaid cards, July 23, 2014.
- H.R. 2804 (Holding), Achieving Less Excess in Regulation and Requiring Transparency (ALERRT) Act (H.R. 2804) (oppose)
- H.R. 2122 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act (RAA)
- H.R. 2542 (Bachus), Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act (RFIA)
- H.R. 2804 (Holding), All Economic Regulations are Transparent (ALERT) Act
- H.R. 1493 (Collins), Sunshine for Regulatory Decrees and Settlements Act
- H.R. 367 (Young), Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act
- H.R. 899 (Foxx), Unfunded Mandates Information and Transparency Act
- Group letter to members of Congress urging them to oppose HR 4 the "Jobs for America Act", Sept. 18,2014
- Letters supporting the Private Student Loan Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2013 (Cohen) and the Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2013 (Durbin) permitting dischargeability of private student loans, Feb 6, 2013
Housing Finance Reform
- Testimony Before the United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairson Housing Finance Reform: Essentials of a Functioning Housing Finance System for Consumers, October 29, 2013
- Coalition Letter to Senator Corker and Senator Warner in response to the S. 1217 Housing Finance Reform and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2013, June 2013
- Letter opposing H.R. 2655, the Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act, July 22, 2013
- H.R. 5446 (Royce), The Facilitating Access to Credit Act: Letter of opposition
- H.R. 2538 (Fitzpatrick)/S. 1613 (Kirk), The Credit Access and Inclusion Act: Letter expressing concerns.
- H.R. 1767 (Waters), S. 160 (Merkley), Medical Debt Responsibility Act. Support letter.
- H.R. 1002 (Cohen)/S. 471 (Sanders), Fair Access to Credit Scores Act
- Letter in Support of the Mortgage Forgiveness Tax Relief Act (Senate and House), Dec. 6, 2013 and Press Release (Dec. 19, 2013)
- Letter opposing H.R. 3211 which undermines the Dodd-Frank Ability to Repay rules, October 17, 2013
- H.R. 1077 (Huizenga)/S. 949 (Manchin) Consumer Mortgage Choice Act, which weakens protections for mortgages with higher costs and fees. Letter in opposition.
Payday Lending and Small Dollar Loans
- Letter opposing H.R. 1566, the "Consumer Credit Access, Innovation, and Modernization Act" (May 6, 2013) creating a federal charter for internet payday and other lenders.
- S. 673 (Durbin)/H.R. 5130 (Cartwright), Protecting Consumers from Unreasonable Credit Rates Act. April 9, 2013 support letter to Sen. Durbin. July 10, 2014 support letter to Rep. Cartwright.
- Letter supporting the Stopping Abuse and Fraud in Electronic (SAFE) Lending Act of 2013 (Bonamici), March 4, 2013
Student Loans and Financial Aid
- S.1399 (Durbin), amending the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cap the interest rate on student loans consolidated or refinanced during military service
- Coalition letter opposing HR 2637 (Foxx), and supporting the Academic Freedom through Regulatory Relief Act, July 19, 2013
- S.1208 (Tester)/H.R. 1551 (Meeks), Consumer Rental Purchase Agreement Act. Consumer opposition letter.
112th Congress (2011-2012)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- S. 3468 (Portman), Independent Agency Regulatory Analysis Act – oppose, Sept. 7, 2012
- Letter opposing H.R. 1121 (Bachus) and H.R. 1315 (Duffy), which weakens CFPB, May 3, 2011
- Letters expressing concern about the harm to consumers and the preemptive effects of HR 6363 (Renacci), The Credit Access and Inclusion Act, which promotes full file utility credit reporting. NCLC Testimony, Sept. 13, 2012
- Letter supporting H.R. 321 (Cohen), Equal Employment for All Act (2009) and Letter to cosponsor H.R. 321 (2012)
- Letter supporting H.R. 2086 (Shuler) and S.2149 (Merkley), Medical Debt Responsibility Act - support (2012) NCLC Testimony
Debt Collection/Cell Phone Privacy
- Letter opposing H.R. 3035 (Terry), Mobile Informational Call Act of 2011, which permits businesses to make informational and debt collection calls to cell phones without consent, Oct. 27, 2011
- Model State Law on Mortgage Servicing: An Outline, Jan. 2011
- S. 489 (Reed), Preserving Homes and Communities Act of 2011
- S. 824 (Sherrod Brown), Foreclosure Fraud and Homeowner Abuse Prevention Act of 2011
Federal Charter for Payday Lenders
Letter opposing H.R. 6139 (Luetkemeyer), which gives payday lenders a federal charter regulated by the OCC, July 2012
- S. 3085 (Boxer/Menendez), The Responsible Homeowner Refinancing Act of 2012. Opposition Corker Safe Harbor Amendment, Civil Rights letter Nov. 13, 2012 and Americans for Financial Reform letter Nov. 19, 2012H.R. 3619 (Ellison/ Stark) Permanently Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2011
- S. 2909 (Merkley), Rebuilding Equity Act of 2012
- S. 2072 (Franken), Helping Homeowners Refinance Act of 2012Bills extending exclusion of mortgage principal reduction from taxable income:HR 4202 (Rangel)
HR 4250 (Lungren)
HR 4290 (McDermott)
HR 4336 (Reed, NY)
SB 2250 (Stabenow)
- Letter opposing HR 2446, RESPA Home Warranty Clarification Act of 2011, exempt payments on home service contracts from the ban on kickbacks and referral fees.
- Letter opposing H.R. 1588 (Canseco), which preempts state rent-to-own laws.
111th Congress (2009-2010)
- Letter supporting H.R. 1020, Arbitration Fairness Act, July 26, 2010
- Comments on the Treasury Department’s proposal to mandate all electronic deposits by 2013, August 16, 2010
- Letter in Support of Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Miller), July 27, 2010
- Letter supporting Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act, H.R. 200/H.R. 1106 (Conyers), March 4, 2009
- Credit CARD Act, S. 414 (Dodd): NCLC Letter, Consumer Groups Letter, Feb. 12, 2009
- Letter in Support of Maloney Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights, Jan. 12, 2009
- Foreclosure Rescue Fraud Act, S. 116/H.R. 1213: Testimony: Legislative Solutions for Preventing Loan Modification and Foreclosure Rescue Fraud, May 6, 2009
- Letter supporting the Medical Debt Relief Act of 2009, H.R. 3421 (Kilroy), July 26, 2010
- Letters in support of H.R. 3904, the Overdraft Protection Act of 2009 and S. 1799, the Fairness and Accountability in Receiving (FAIR) Overdraft Coverage Act of 2009
- NCLC Comments to the Federal Reserve Re: Regulation Overdraft Loans under Regulation E, Mar. 30, 2009
- Support letter for S. 582, Interest Rate Reduction Act, Mar. 27, 2009
- Letter opposing payday loan bill, H.R. 1214 (Gutierrez), Mar. 23, 2009
- Letter Supporting Benefit Card Fairness Act, H.R. 4552, May 2, 2010
Regulatory Reform and Preemption
- Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2009 (H.R. 4173)
- Coalition Letter Supporting Independent CFPA, Feb. 19, 2010
- Consumer Statement in Support of President's Proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency, June 17, 2009