On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. To find out the status of a bill and current co-sponsors, visit www.thomas.gov.
Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
- H.R.3137 (Schakowsky) & S. 1534 (Harkin), Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act (Support)
- Letters supporting the Private Student Loan Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2013 (Cohen) and the Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2013 (Durbin) permitting dischargeability of private student loans, Feb 6, 2013
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- H.R. 3193 (Duffy), Consumer Financial Protection and Soundness Improvement Act of 2013, a package of bills designed to gut the CFPB. Consumer opposition letter. Feb. 11, 2014
- H.R. 2538 (Fitzpatrick)/S. 1613 (Kirk), The Credit Access and Inclusion Act: Letter expressing concerns.
- H.R. 1767 (Waters), S. 160 (Merkley), Medical Debt Responsibility Act. Support letter.
- H.R. 1002 (Cohen)/S. 471 (Sanders), Fair Access to Credit Scores Act
Fair Debt Collection
- S. 2328 (Toomey), exempting attorneys from the FDCPA (Opposition Letter), May 12, 2014
Housing Finance Reform
- NCLC Statement on Passage of Housing Finance Bill (S.1217) in Senate Banking Committee, May 15, 2014
- Analysis of Servicing Provisions in Johnson-Crapo Discussion Draft, April 2014
- Testimony Before the United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairson Housing Finance Reform: Essentials of a Functioning Housing Finance System for Consumers, October 29, 2013
- Coalition Letter to Senator Corker and Senator Warner in response to the S. 1217 Housing Finance Reform and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2013, June 2013
- Letter opposing H.R. 2655, the Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act, July 22, 2013
- H.R. 5148 (Luetkemeyer), Access to Affordable Mortgages Act of 2014, which exempts certain mortgages from appraisal requirements. AFR letter in opposition.
- Letter in Support of the Mortgage Forgiveness Tax Relief Act (Senate and House), Dec. 6, 2013 and Press Release (Dec. 19, 2013)
- Letter opposing H.R. 3211 which undermines the Dodd-Frank Ability to Repay rules, October 17, 2013
- H.R. 1077 (Huizenga)/S. 949 (Manchin) Consumer Mortgage Choice Act, which weakens protections for mortgages with higher costs and fees. Letter in opposition.
Operation Choke Point
- H.R. 4986 (Luetkemeyer), End Operation Choke Point Act of 2014. Testimony and Letter in opposition.
- Letters to House and Senate against bills to weaken and in support of Operation Choke Point.
Payday Lending and Small Dollar Loans
- Letter opposing H.R. 1566, the "Consumer Credit Access, Innovation, and Modernization Act" (May 6, 2013) creating a federal charter for internet payday and other lenders.
- S. 673 (Durbin)/H.R. ___ (Cartwright), Protecting Consumers from Unreasonable Credit Rates Act. April 9, 2013 support letter to Sen. Durbin. July 10, 2014 support letter to Rep. Cartwright.
- Letter supporting the Stopping Abuse and Fraud in Electronic (SAFE) Lending Act of 2013 (Bonamici), March 4, 2013
Prepaid and Payroll Cards
- Press release supporting CA AB 2252 which protects child support deposited on prepaid cards, July 23, 2014.
Student Loans and Financial Aid
- S.1399 (Durbin), amending the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cap the interest rate on student loans consolidated or refinanced during military service
- Coalition letter opposing HR 2637 (Kline), the Academic Freedom through Regulatory Relief Act, July 19, 2013