On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. To find out the status of a bill and current co-sponsors, visit www.thomas.gov.
Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
114th Congress (2015-16)(See the Archive page for earlier Congresses.)
- Letter opposing Appropriation riders that limit CFPB's arbitration authority, May 10, 2016
- Letter supporting Blumenthal-Franken Telecom-Arb Bill, Apr. 28, 2016
- S. 2506 (Leahy), Restoring Statutory Rights Act of 2016. Consumer support letter, Feb. 4th, 2016
- Letter opposing proposals to weaken or remove CFPB arbitration authority.
- H.R. 1737 (Guinta), Reforming CFPB Indirect Auto Financing Guidance Act. Opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing misuse of the appropriations process for ideological policy riders.
- Group letter urging U.S. House of Representatives to support HR 4682 Help Americans Never Get Unwanted Phone call (HANGUP Act), March 11, 2016
- Group letter urging U.S. Senators to support the Help Americans Never Get Unwanted Phone calls (HANGUP) bill, Nov. 2, 2015
- Opposition letter to H.R. 1927, a bill to destroy class actions, Jan. 6, 2016
- H.R. 1927 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2015. Opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- H.R. 4678 (Ratcliffe), Separation of Powers Restoration Act of 2016 (oppose)
- 254 Organizations Oppose Financial Policy Riders, May 18, 2016
- Opposition to Hensarling anti-consumer amendments to Highway funding bill, Nov. 4, 2015
- HR 957 (Stivers), Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection-Inspector General Reform Act of 2015. AFR Opposition Letter, Sept. 29, 2015
- Opposition Letter to H.R. 166/CFPB Commission Bill, Sept. 29, 2015
- Letter to House supporting constitutionality of the CFPB, Sept. 16, 2015
- Group letter opposing S. 1607, the Independent Agency Regulatory Analysis Act of 2015., June 27, 2015
- H.R. 1266 (Neugebauer), Financial Product Safety Commission Act of 2015 (oppose)
- H.R. 1195 (Pittenger), the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Advisory Boards Act, which could cut CFPB funding. Coalition opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing efforts to weaken the CFPB, Jan. 21, 2015
- HR 5282 (Waters) Comprehensive Consumer Credit Reporting Act, coalition letter of support, May 19, 2016
- Group letter opposing H.R. 4172, Credit Access and Inclusion Act, May 18, 2016
- Letter opposing H.R. 3035, Credit Access and Inclusion Act, Sept. 8, 2015
- HR 2091 (Poliquin), Child Support Assistance Act of 2015 (concern)
- H.R.1514 (Sanchez), Credit Reporting for Military Families Act (support)
- H.R.347 (Royce) Facilitating Access to Credit Act of 2015 (oppose) Letter and Q&A Fact Sheet
- H.R. 1703 (Langevin), Protect Children from Theft Act of 2015(support)
- Letter in Support Budget Amendment Limiting Use of Guarantee Fees for Unrelated Initiatives, March 18, 2015
Homebuyers Assistance Act
- H.R. 3624 (Buck), Fraudulent Joinder Prevention Act. Consumer opposition letter, Feb. 23, 2016.
- H.R. 1927 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation and Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency Act of 2016. Consumer opposition letter, Feb. 2, 2016
- H.R. 758 (Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act. Consumer opposition letter (to the Committee on the Judiciary), April 13, 2015 and opposition letter (to the House Speaker and Minority Leader) Sept. 15, 2015.
- H.R. 650: Coalition Opposition Letter, Feb. 26, 2015
- S.2592 Medical Debt Relief Act (Group letter of support, Feb. 24, 2016)
- H.R. 2362 Medical Debt Relief Act (Group letter of support, May 8, 2015)
Military Lending Act
- Consumer letter to House Committee on Armed Services opposing weakening of Military Lending Act, April 19, 2016
- Amendment #268 (Stivers) to FY 2016 National Defense Authorization Act to require certification database used for military lending. Consumer letter in opposition.
- Rep. Duckworth amendment to H.R. 1735, National Defense Authorization Act, to eliminate provision delaying regulations to close loopholes in 36% interest rate cap. Consumer letter in support.
- Coalition letter to Congress opposing oppose HR 1210, the Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act, Nov. 16, 2015
- H.R. 3192, Homeowners Assistance Act (opposition letter), July 27, 2015
- H.R. 1210 (Barr), Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act (Coalition opposition letter)
- H.R. 2213 (Pearce), safe harbor from enforcement for TILA/RESPA integrated disclosures. Coalition opposition letter, June 9, 2015
- H.R. 685 Mortgage Choice Act (coalition letter opposing)
Operation Choke Point and Payment Fraud
- H.R. 766 (Luetkemeyer) the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter, Feb. 2, 2016
- H.R. 1413 (Luetkemeyer) & S. 477 (Rubio), the Firearms Manufacturers and Dealers Protection Act 2015
Private Debt Collection of Federal Debt
- Group letter supporting S. 2255 amending the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to include third-party private debt collectors, Nov. 10, 2015
- Group letter opposing Section 52106 in Senate Highway Trust Fund bill mandating IRS to use private debt collectors, July 24, 2015
- H.R. 2896 (Tipton), Taking Account of Institutions with Low Operation Risk Act (TAILOR). Consumer opposition letter.
- HR 185 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter.
- H.R. 3634 (Wilson), Student Loan Debt Protection Act of 2015 (support)
- Coalition letter opposing HR 970/S 559 (Foxx-Kline) which would repeal federal regulations enacted to protect students from for-profit college fraud, including gainful employment regulations, April 2015
- H.R. 2666, No Rate Regulation of Broadband Internet Access Act (Kinzinger) Advocates opposition letter, April 12, 2016
- H.R. 4884 (Scott) Civil rights, union, and consumer groups' letter opposing this bill that would cap the federal low-income Lifeline program, April 12, 2016
- Consumer letter to Uniform Law Commission opposing revisions to Uniform Unclaimed Property Act, Oct. 7, 2015