On behalf of our low income clients, we are monitoring the following legislative activities. To find out the status of a bill and current co-sponsors, visit www.thomas.gov.
Note: For more materials on a particular subject area, visit our Issues page.
114th Congress (2015-16)(See the Archive page for earlier Congresses.)
- H.R. 1737 (Guinta), Reforming CFPB Indirect Auto Financing Guidance Act. Opposition letter.
- H.R. 1927 (Goodlatte), Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2015. Opposition letter.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Group letter opposing S. 1607, the Independent Agency Regulatory Analysis Act of 2015., June 27, 2015
- H.R. 1266 (Neugebauer), Financial Product Safety Commission Act of 2015 (oppose)
- H.R. 1195 (Pittenger), the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Advisory Boards Act, which could cut CFPB funding. Coalition opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing efforts to weaken the CFPB, Jan. 21, 2015
- HR 2091 (Poliquin), Child Support Assistance Act of 2015 (concern)
- H.R.1514 (Sanchez), Credit Reporting for Military Families Act (support)
- H.R.347 (Royce) Facilitating Access to Credit Act of 2015 (oppose) Letter and Q&A Fact Sheet
- H.R. 1703 (Langevin), Protect Children from Theft Act of 2015(support)
- Letter in Support Budget Amendment Limiting Use of Guarantee Fees for Unrelated Initiatives, March 18, 2015
- H.R. 758 (Smith), Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act. Consumer opposition letter, April 13, 2015.
- H.R. 650: Coalition Opposition Letter, Feb. 26, 2015
Military Lending Act
- Amendment #268 (Stivers) to FY 2016 National Defense Authorization Act to require certification database used for military lending. Consumer letter in opposition.
- Rep. Duckworth amendment to H.R. 1735, National Defense Authorization Act, to eliminate provision delaying regulations to close loopholes in 36% interest rate cap. Consumer letter in support.
- H.R. 3192, Homeowners Assistance Act (opposition letter), July 27, 2015
- H.R. 1210 (Barr), Portfolio Lending and Mortgage Access Act (Coalition opposition letter)
- H.R. 2213 (Pearce), safe harbor from enforcement for TILA/RESPA integrated disclosures. Coalition opposition letter, June 9, 2015
- H.R. 685 Mortgage Choice Act (coalition letter opposing)
Operation Choke Point and Payment Fraud
- H.R. 766 (Luetkemeyer) the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter, July 28, 2015
- H.R. 1413 (Luetkemeyer) & S. 477 (Rubio), the Firearms Manufacturers and Dealers Protection Act 2015
Private Debt Collection of Taxes
- Group letter opposing Section 52106 in Senate Highway Trust Fund bill mandating IRS to use private debt collectors, July 24, 2015
- HR 185 (Goodlatte), Regulatory Accountability Act of 2015. Coalition opposition letter.
- Coalition letter opposing HR 970/S 559 (Foxx-Kline) which would repeal federal regulations enacted to protect students from for-profit college fraud, including gainful employment regulations, April 2015